Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-15-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Minimum Hand to Call This ReRaise...

This is a theory question, but it was inspired by an opponent from a tourney I played yesterday...

OK, say you're in the middle stages of a MTT with about an average-ish stack. No one is in the red yet, but everyone at the table has an M or about 8-14 with only one big stack at the table. The big stack as well as everyone else has folded and you open for a raise on the button. The small blind moves all-in. Your hand is not strong enough to call, so you fold. As time goes by, you notice that this same Villian has moved all-in after a player has raised in late position more often than she is entitled to, though not every time. Again, it's foled to you on the button and again you raise, hoping to pick up the blinds and antes. Again, she moves all-in.

Assuming that it costs you all or almost all of your chips to call, what are the minimum holdings you will call this with? If you want to steal, are you better off just moving all-in yourself in this same spot (it would be a big overbet) and put the pressure on the small blind?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Minimum Hand to Call This ReRaise...

This question can not be answered w/o knowing the pot odds, thus stack-sizes and the amount of the re-raise etc. will determine the answer. It costs me all or almost all my chips, but how much is out there already?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:35 PM

In the right situation with the right player i will let the player to my left "steal" my bets for some time. I will keep the bets the same (obviously as small as possible) and continue to let him/her come over the top. Then when my patience pays off and i hit a big hand (pocket AA or KK down to maybe AQs) i'll play it the same way i have all those times he's stolen from me. Only this time I call his all in (with the odds 99% of the time way in my favor) and our blind stealer is either gone or so short staked he's for all intents and purposes done. This takes great patience but IT DOES WORK. If i had a dollar for every time i've done this successfully i'd be really happy. Try it!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Pot Odds

Yeah, so I forgot to put in the pot odds....

The first time Villian came over the top the pot was offering me about 1.5:1 maybe a slight bit more.

The second time the pot was offering me more like 1.35:1 since I had a smaller stack and Villian accumulated more.

I can see how these numbers change things, but I'm not quite sure how much they really affect the decision making process. For example, the difference between 1.7:1 and 1.5:1 can easily change a clear call to a clear fold. However, this is in reliance of information regarding Villians range of hands. In my case, I can't even guess a range with any kind of accuracy since Villian has not shown down a hand. Since she had been coming over the top a lot, I can only guess that her range is something like the top 30%-50%.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:00 PM

bump!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:34 AM

No one has any input on this???!!!