Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2005, 02:34 AM

Default God is Love

For some time now I have been engaged in various debates of a theological nature, mostly on the Psychology forum. The central issues were generally those which involve logic, reason, evolution, meaning, purpose and similar concepts. I believe fervently in the things I presented there, and no doubt will gladly make the same arguments where appropriate in the future.

However, I've recently been reflecting on these discussions and I feel convinced that something important has been ignored in all the controversy. So I'm going to discourse on that briefly, then I expect to withdraw from the fray for awhile. I will certainly be glad to answer PM's if anyone is interested, but I can't think of anything I have to add publicly to what I've already said concerning these matters, and I see nothing productive in repeating myself. In all honesty, I can't think of any arguments I haven't made or any objections or questions I haven't responded to, adequately or not.

What's been missing and what I feel most strongly about can best be expressed by a Bible verse.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

What I want to talk about now is love, God's love as revealed in Scripture.

1 John 4:
8 The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

Many of you may not believe me when I tell you I really don't think I know everything, or for that matter, that I know very much at all. But of all the mysteries that exist for me in the universe, by far and away without comparison is the mystery of love. I know what love is, I believe I may have a drop or two of love in me(by God's grace), but I do not begin to understand it - and God's love for us is the mystery of mysteries.

Some of you have asked what is the difference between Christianity and other religions, or the Bible and other writings which claim inspiration. I know of no other text that even comes close to expressing God's love for man like the Bible, or that demands of Christians such a high standard of love for others. That difference alone is so enormous all the other distinguishing characteristics of Christianity combined do not equal it.

I like knowledge as much as anyone, and the Bible teaches us to pursue wisdom and knowledge. But listen to Paul on the subject of knowledge:

1 Corinthians 13:

1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

13But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 8:1
Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies.

All the words I can speak, and all the reasoning and arguments I can make, are shallow and weak compared to what Jesus said at the Last Supper:

John 13:

34"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
35"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

The church has failed in this throughout the centuries since these words were spoken, to our shame. I have failed in this more than I like to think. But the one great, common thread throughout the Bible is love, God's love for us, His commandment that we love Him, and that we love one another. Humans fail completely in this obligation of love, but God's love for us never fails.

So I haven't communicated this in the heat of debate. No doubt I get too involved in the logic of the argument as well. I know that my words will never persuade anyone, I have no power of my own. But my testimony is that God does love, and He will unfailingly reveal that to any who will know.