Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 05-16-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Table Input Please

Well, the bug's just about biting me again to build a table. I built one last summer and it's worked just fine. But "fine" about covers it, and I'd like to shoot for something in the "nice" range this time around. I want something that will comfortably seat 8 and can squeeze 10 or 11 if we need to.

What I keep fighting with myself about, and need input from anyone on is the shape. I currently have a full 8' oval. I'm not doing this again. The people on the ends can't deal and it's generally just sort of a pain. So right now, I keep arguing with myself about a 4' x 6' oval or a round... not quite sure what size. If anyone has any other shape suggestion (although I'm not big on the octagon look), please throw it out there. So please, if you own, have played on or have any experience with a table that's not a full 8' oval, let me know the upsides, downsides, and your general impression of whether you like it or not. Thanks in advance, it will be a huge help.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Table Input Please

I have a 6' round table which I built. It has spots for ten and holds 10 pretty comfortably. 11 is a bit squished but doable and 12 is really squished and ok in a pinch. Our usual crew is between 8-10 and is quite comfy.

I built a round table for the same reason, an 8 ft stretch across a table is too far (end to end on an oval). This is 6' and is much more manageable (still a little stretch, but a really good compromise).

Here is a pic:
Old 05-16-2005, 03:50 PM

I that a silk screen image in the middle?
Old 05-16-2005, 04:04 PM

No, it was drawn on using paint pens.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:19 PM

Thanks, it looks cool. I think I saw this pic on another forum. Significance? I sent my felt out to get embroidered. I hope to have pics on my table in a couple of weeks. I went with a six foot oval table(this will be my second, first was the full eight)for the same reasons.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:57 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing the embroidering. Do you mind me asking what you are having done, how much it is going to cost and where you are getting it done?

Embroidering is a cool idea that I never even considered.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:58 PM

I've been thinking about how I am going to construct a table this summer too. A ellipse with minor axis of 48 inches and a major axis of 90 inches will give a total permiter of 226.58 inches. A full 8 foot oval is 246 inches.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:21 PM

My table is an elongated octagon. It's 88"x5", making it shorter than a full-size oval but wider so that I still can fit ten very comfortably. And it's not near as bad to deal from the ends.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking forward to seeing the embroidering. Do you mind me asking what you are having done, how much it is going to cost and where you are getting it done?

Embroidering is a cool idea that I never even considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

A local shop in a small town in Kansas. PM me and I will give you the name. I am using a crushed velvet top, the embroidery will be about 1x1 and will have a full house fours full of sevens (my football number in college was 47) and will have the words "Checks Good" (dumbass story) under the cards. They are charging me a set up fee of $25 and the embroidery will be about $50.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:34 PM