Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 05-13-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Post-Flop - Tricky Players

Hi, I've been thinking about this for sometime. Can someone give me a few example about tricky players? What do you exactly consider as a tricky play after the flop. When playing on Party, you'll encounter alot of players who's playing style is very different. How do you seperate a tricky player from a bad player, they both play almost alike but the a bad player just play looser preflop.

Thoughts?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Post-Flop - Tricky Players

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I've been thinking about this for sometime. Can someone give me a few example about tricky players? What do you exactly consider as a tricky play after the flop. When playing on Party, you'll encounter alot of players who's playing style is very different. How do you seperate a tricky player from a bad player, they both play almost alike but the a bad player just play looser preflop.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
No they dont.

Bad players are LP-P which isnt very tricky
Old 05-13-2005, 09:39 AM

Tricky players can still be bad players, because most of the time in limit hold 'em, the optimal way to play the hand is straight foward. Many of these tricky players probably get an ego boost from trapping you, but they are usually leaving money on the table.

However, they are much more difficult to play against than loose-passives or calling stations, because they force you into difficult spots and decisions. Some examples of the tricky types of play I see are:

- Betting against the flow. For example I raise preflop and bet the flop. On the turn, the tricky player picks up a flush draw, and bets into me.

- They check raise a rag flop most of the time after I preflop raise

- They check through the nuts on the flop, and then raise the turn

- etc...

In many situations, the above plays are just chip-spewing. However, it is tricky and can be difficult and frustating to play against.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:45 AM

So these are plays that we need to make to mix up our plays. Any idea how often we have to do this or does it depends on the opponent. When are tricky plays +EV, against a tight aggressive or a loose passive? You need to have something against a calling stations however.

I know depending how often a player folds, tricky plays are better to do against someone who is willing to fold a hand. Is this possible to find on PokerTracker as well?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:27 AM

Short answer: don't bother. At the low limits just play ABC and you get the money. Against weak opponents you just need to keep it simple and value bet to hell when you think you have the best hand. Check raising is probably the only commonly useful "tricky" play, which is good for protecting made but vulnerable hands.

At higher stakes people are alot better at folding when they are most probably behind, so trickiness such as semi-bluffing is more useful.

E.g. Read and compare Winning Low Limit Hold 'em and Hold 'em for Advanced Players.