Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 04-13-2005, 05:31 AM

Default AA - Friday Special Party TRIVIAL Hand - My Dad Thinks not

OK - here's the scenario.

I'm playing the Friday Special on Party Poker with T6.5k 200/400 blinds.

There are 104 people left. Top 100 get paid. 900 people entered the tourney.

1st place was over 40k.

UTG+3 (T20k) raises to 2000
I'm on the button with BLACK Aces.

I insta-push.

My Dad thinks that folding the aces in this spot would be correct because I guarantee myself a spot in the money.

I argue that the bubble is the best time to make steal moves because everyone else is scared of not making the money.. And I have the BEST hand here preflop. If I win this hand, I more than double up and end up with a very nice stack going into the money.

I am very well bankrolled.

What's your play?

Choose either
A) Your Dad is an Idiot
B) You, Blackjack, Are an Idiot

There is no C) both of them are idiots

$1000 bet on the line here.
Give honest opinions ~

Blackjack
Old 04-13-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: AA - Friday Special Party TRIVIAL Hand - My Dad Thinks not

not moving in here is criminal. You lose, so what? 100th is your buyin back. Doubling here gets you to 13-14k area at 200/400, which gives you room to resteal on the bubble and otherwise throw chips around
Old 04-13-2005, 06:14 AM

There is absolutely no way you can fold.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:58 AM

Delay a second and then push. Instant push shouts out AA and you want to get called here. Folding is not an option unless the money is that important but if that is the case you shouldn't be playing the tournament. You play to win not get your money back.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:08 AM

The push is correct. You can mail my portion of the $1000 to ...
Old 04-13-2005, 08:27 AM

Easy easy easy easy easy easy push. Alternately you could smooth call and try to get him in on the flop. Folding is absolutely the worst play and anybody who advocates folding there is just wrong, very very wrong.

You dad owes you a grand.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am very well bankrolled.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do u make roll
if you think fold an option...
silly, stupid dad
Old 04-13-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy easy easy easy easy easy push. Alternately you could smooth call and try to get him in on the flop. Folding is absolutely the worst play and anybody who advocates folding there is just wrong, very very wrong.

You dad owes you a grand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree you push here, assumming you have a good chance of getting heads up with just him. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT even consider smooth calling in this situation....TERRIBLE ADVICE.

Being close to the bubble you risk too much with a smooth call. Why? Because he is probably just on a steal since it is close to the bubble and everyone is just trying to place in the money. You don't want to risk him hitting a mircale flop of two pair or better.

You have to put him to an instant decision for all his chips or at least all your chips and being close to the bubble you don't want him to have the advantage of seeing the flop and then 3 high cards come.

Additionaly, I think your Dad is quoting Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players book. There are some scenarios where folding AA preflop might make sense, and a lot of it depends on your goals. But it is always a highly controversial topic.

Ultimately, in this scenario, with the likelihood of the player trying to accummulate chips b/c of the blind steals, you have to push. There's no question. If you get busted out on AA's, so what. You play another tourney.

Wombles
Old 04-13-2005, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Being close to the bubble you risk too much with a smooth call. Why? Because he is probably just on a steal since it is close to the bubble and everyone is just trying to place in the money. You don't want to risk him hitting a mircale flop of two pair or better.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you may call is to get more value out of your aces. You simply cannot be affraid of the guy catching a miricle flop. You will likely be HU anyway here, and if you think villain will fold to a push, but set you in on the flop regardless of what he has, then smooth calling is fine. Big stacks are known to play rather aggressively near the bubble, and doubling up here is worth a lot. I aggree that pushing is better, but not by a huge amount. I vary my play here, but I would smooth call most of the time against a villain like I described above, and push most of the time against others.

[ QUOTE ]

Additionaly, I think your Dad is quoting Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players book. There are some scenarios where folding AA preflop might make sense, and a lot of it depends on your goals. But it is always a highly controversial topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

These cases are all very extrodinary. They typically fall into two categories. The first is on the bubble of a satelite where there is a totally flat payout structure beyond a point. The other is at the final table where the payout structure is quite steep.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:58 AM

Strassa - enough of the lamer El Diablo posing please!

I told you how much I hated his advice to fold. I was playing at Foxwoods at the time on my laptop and I was ready to leave because he wouldn't shut up about it. He kept saying "get into the money" you won nothing..

QJs called and hit trips. It felt like I was punched in the stomach but life goes on. He now owes me a grand - I think of it as a freeroll into this months Party 1 mil.

Thanks for the obvious responses

Blackjack