Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Not Mature Enough For Poker

As the subject implies, I have decided that I am not mature enough to play poker any more. I have decided this after numerous cases of playing far above my bankroll and sustaining serious hits. Luckily, I'm still up about $200 for my career and that's the way it's going to be, for at least the next 5 months.

I've decided that I will play absolutely no internet poker this semester. There are numerous benefits to this decision. First of all, I won't lose any more money. Secondly, I suspect that my grades will greatly improve. Last semester I constantly found myself asking "Should I study or make money?" (I'm actually a pretty good player when I have myself under control). I can only imagine where my grades would be if I hadn't been so consumed by poker.

I own SSH, TOP, HPFAP, and TFPAP, as well as a few other books. Over the next five months, I plan to study them intently, so when I return to the game I will be a much better player.

I guess there are two reasons for me to post this. The first is how to overcome the root of my bankroll problems. When I have the money sitting in my PokerRoom account, it doesn't seem real. I seem to have a hard time appreciating money that isn't in my hands. Also, when I make a big win, I tend to think of the money as "won, not earned" and piss it all away immediately. For example, I had a great run at the tournaments and was up over $1500 one week, so I decided to hit up the $500 NL table... Three times. Do you have any tips for really appreciating the money, or is this just something that will come with time?

Secondly, I'd like you guys to help me enforce this decision. If you see me posting hands or bragging about a tournament or something during the next 5 months, call me out and publicly humiliate me, please.

Thanks a lot everyone.