Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 09-19-2005, 01:30 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: How Much Would I Have To Make?

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the deal. You are 21. This girl you are thinking of marrying, most likely will be out of the picture within the next four years, if she is not you are probably making a mistake getting married to young.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been with her for 5 years now and it's only getting better

[ QUOTE ]

You have oppurtunites most could only dream of. Coming from a privledged background, where your family has decent connections and can afford to put you through an excellent institution.

At a 3.04 GPA you are underperforming for your abilities.If you were footing your own bill this would not be a big deal, but being that you are accepting your fathers money, you have an obligation to make the best of it.

I would recommend that you really try to apply yourself to your studies the in the next year. Make them a priority.

If you are concerned about how you come off in an interview, I am sure the career services department of your school would be more than happy to work with you on your interview skills. One thing I did coming out of college was schedule my first two interviews with companies that I did not care about. This helped me a lot.

As far as continuing your education, I would log some "real world" work experience first. This is more highly valued. You can go back for doctorate/Masters stuff later.

At this point I am not quite sure why you feel that your decision needs to be poker or job. I work 45-50 hours a week with a 45min commute both ways. I have a two year old daughter who I spend a lot of time with, and I live with my girlfriend who also has a child. With all of this I still hit 20-25 hours a week of poker.

Although you are an adult and technically do not owe anything to anybody, the fact remains that your folks have spent 6 figures on your education. Since you feel that you would enjoy the work to some extent, I think it is important to give it a shot. After 3-4 years if you discover that you are hating what you do, big deal... so you will be 24-26 and looking to change fields... who cares. I am 30, I changed fields three times from 22-26, the third time being the job that I am at now.

As a side note, it sounds as if you are a gifted underachiever, or at least have a little bit of slacker (Or a I will work hard when/if I want to attitude), that needs to change. From what I have seen in my time out of college, those who really get ahead in the working world are not necessarily the most gifted; but what they are are very hard workers with dogged determination, and outstanding work ethic. The last four years, since I put my superiority complex behind me and just decided to outwork people, my life has gotten a lot easier and my performance has improved.

[/ QUOTE ]

you just read me perfectly. motivation is something I've been trying to rediscover for a while now. I know this needs to change and I know I have to have a good year. I don't know that I will, as even as I become more conscious of my problems with this I'm still regressing. I wanted to stay in school another year to get my BA but it's not feasible because I'd have tot ake the whole core curriculum for that program. I tend to run away from things rather than take them head on. poker is the easy way out.

and I'm glad you understand why I feel that, to an extent, I owe it to my parents to get a job out of school. it doesn't seem like anyone else does.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is the deal. You are 21. This girl you are thinking of marrying, most likely will be out of the picture within the next four years, if she is not you are probably making a mistake getting married to young.

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly to say without knowing either of them, he is an adult, not a 7th grader in puppy love. Not that you are never right, but that wasn't the point of the post and it was a bit out of line IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
You have oppurtunites most could only dream of. Coming from a privledged background, where your family has decent connections and can afford to put you through an excellent institution.

At a 3.04 GPA you are underperforming for your abilities.If you were footing your own bill this would not be a big deal, but being that you are accepting your fathers money, you have an obligation to make the best of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who just went through the college admissions process, it's obvious you don't give him enough credit. Getting into Columbia in this day in age, you have to have good work ethic. I understand you are trying to he helpful, but give a little credit where it is due.

[/ QUOTE ]

The part about the girlfriend, I meant that he might be putting too much emphasis on incorporating a relationship, which may not be as sure a thing as he thinks, into his decision making process. Things change after college, those changes affect the whole relationship dynamic. Those changes could take a relationship that seems "right" at this point in time and turn it into a bad fit.

As for the GPA deal, he admits to having a few "really bad" grades. Also I have probably read less than 5% of his posts, but I remember at least one instance in the last year where he admitted that poker related things were interfering with his studies.

So the girlfriend comment was meant to put a different perspective on the whole relationship. While the work ethic comment is nothing that he has not admited on the boards on his own... in other words it was not breaking any new ground.

Also I have been through simaliar things and have seen acquaintances deal with many of the same issues. So nothing I said is really revoloutionary or unsubstantiated.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 PM

If you're as concerned as you say you are about the end of online poker, play and make your 200k+/year.

Odds are you won't have a chance to make that kind of dough in the working world for many, many years.

With something like 200-400k in your pocket, I wouldn't sweat the gap in your work history (or absence of work history). You'll be able to get a job.

So your father won't be thrilled. Oh well. Make your own decisions.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who just went through the college admissions process, it's obvious you don't give him enough credit. Getting into Columbia in this day in age, you have to have good work ethic. I understand you are trying to he helpful, but give a little credit where it is due.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately, he happens to be 100% right. I was lucky (I test well, and I applied early as a reach and got in), but a 3.0 GPA is not much to be proud of when most of my classes are curved around a B+. I'm still amazed how perfectly he read me
Old 09-19-2005, 01:38 PM

I think trying to come up with a number is a bad way to do this. Money is a funny thing, if you are using it to gauge happiness, no matter how much you have, it will never be enough, because you will wish it was a little more.

To me it sounds like you know what you'd like to do, but it also sounds like you already know what you are going to do.

My advice would be to make yourself happy, because if you are unhappy, it isnt going to matter if other people respect you more or like you better or like your decision better.

Timprov gave some pimpin wisdom "If your goal is eventually to get a job, then get a job. If it's not, then don't worry about it."
Old 09-19-2005, 01:44 PM

the reason that I'm using money to gauge me si because if I don't get a job out of college, I'm at a signfiicant disadvantage whenever I do want to get a job. but if I could make a certain amount of money playing poker and invest that, it will give me such an advantage that it will be worth being behind the curve as far as work experience goes.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been with her for 5 years now and it's only getting better

[ QUOTE ]

I would recommend that you really try to apply yourself to your studies the in the next year. Make them a priority.

If you are concerned about how you come off in an interview, I am sure the career services department of your school would be more than happy to work with you on your interview skills. One thing I did coming out of college was schedule my first two interviews with companies that I did not care about. This helped me a lot.

As far as continuing your education, I would log some "real world" work experience first. This is more highly valued. You can go back for doctorate/Masters stuff later.

At this point I am not quite sure why you feel that your decision needs to be poker or job. I work 45-50 hours a week with a 45min commute both ways. I have a two year old daughter who I spend a lot of time with, and I live with my girlfriend who also has a child. With all of this I still hit 20-25 hours a week of poker.

Although you are an adult and technically do not owe anything to anybody, the fact remains that your folks have spent 6 figures on your education. Since you feel that you would enjoy the work to some extent, I think it is important to give it a shot. After 3-4 years if you discover that you are hating what you do, big deal... so you will be 24-26 and looking to change fields... who cares. I am 30, I changed fields three times from 22-26, the third time being the job that I am at now.

As a side note, it sounds as if you are a gifted underachiever, or at least have a little bit of slacker (Or a I will work hard when/if I want to attitude), that needs to change. From what I have seen in my time out of college, those who really get ahead in the working world are not necessarily the most gifted; but what they are are very hard workers with dogged determination, and outstanding work ethic. The last four years, since I put my superiority complex behind me and just decided to outwork people, my life has gotten a lot easier and my performance has improved.

[/ QUOTE ]

you just read me perfectly. motivation is something I've been trying to rediscover for a while now. I know this needs to change and I know I have to have a good year. I don't know that I will, as even as I become more conscious of my problems with this I'm still regressing. I wanted to stay in school another year to get my BA but it's not feasible because I'd have tot ake the whole core curriculum for that program. I tend to run away from things rather than take them head on. poker is the easy way out.

and I'm glad you understand why I feel that, to an extent, I owe it to my parents to get a job out of school. it doesn't seem like anyone else does.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may also feel a need to "be your own man" so to speak. Poker is a handy way of doing that.

But in all honesty, just do what needs to be done.

The relationship thing aside, if it works out great.

I know my life would have been much easier, if I had made better use of my oppurtunities. It took me about four years of wasted time, before I came around to doing what I do now. My situation was suprisingly simaliar to yours, in ways I do not feel like elaborating on any more than I already have. Maybe the time was not a complete waste, but looking back I would do things differently. I have seen/spoken to others who have the same feelings.

One thing to watch out for is feeling guilty about your oppurtunities. Life is hard enough as it is and passing on things to prove your independence (for lack of a better term), just makes things unecessarily difficult.

I would try to make the most of what you have and after 3-4 reevaluate... you will be 25-26 and still have plenty of options open to you.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My situation was suprisingly simaliar to yours, in ways I do not feel like elaborating on any more than I already have.

[/ QUOTE ]

On 2nd thought if you care to hear the whole story PM me. If nothing else it might show you where I am coming from. Instead of people thinking I am just trying to be a dick.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored], dude. I know I'm not adding anything, but -- Holy [censored]. This is so beautiful it makes me want to cry.

Congratulations.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:08 PM

You need to do what makes you happy, picking a number isn't going to work.

Some people will be happy making $60K a year in a job they love with a schedule they can choose, others will not be happy unless they are making $250,000 yearly so they can have all the toys, nice car, nice house, plasma tv's etc.
You need to determine which one of the 2 you are.

I think a player of your ability will always be able to make a good solid income from poker either online or live.

Say the worst case scenario happens, in 3 years online poker is dead, after 3 years of playing online at a couple hundred an hour you should be able to continue to play poker live at a high enough level to live comfortably for the rest of your life. You will not be making the same live as you did online but you will still be able to live comfortably.

Also if it intersts you, you can always take that poker bankroll and start your own company or talk to your father about becoming a partner etc.