Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-25-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Another Way To Prove My Point about African Children.

David you are going to HELL.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:46 PM

$20/month isn't all that much to most people. It's not a life changing amount to contribute, but how far do you take it? The expression "give till it hurts" comes to mind. Should we keep donating until our quality of life is no better than the ones we are trying to save? Then you get into interpersonal comparisons of utility. $20 is much less valuable to me than it is to someone in poverty. Does that mean that I should continue to give until $20 means the same to me as it does to everyone?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason you don't contribute at the higher price is that YOU WOULD RATHER HAVE THAT EXTRA THOUSAND DOLLARS THAN THAT THE AFRICAN CHILD LIVES. Period. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the fact that most 3rd world children are probable future enemy soldier/combatants in the US led new world order, I submit that their death is +EV to US citizens.

Well Henry Kissenger would understand.

Personally I am disgusted by it, but it is realpolitik, and it does happen, it is happening.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:23 PM

Sklansky- perhaps you just shed light on the Christian reality that all men are sinners, godhaters, their mouths are open graves (Romans 3), etc.?
Old 08-20-2005, 03:40 PM

So Dave,

how much money did you spend on African children this year?
Old 08-20-2005, 04:41 PM

Have you ever heard of the Christian Children's fund ? They advertise on tv and do exactly the charity that you are talking about in your original post. They have millions of members.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever heard of the Christian Children's fund ? They advertise on tv and do exactly the charity that you are talking about in your original post. They have millions of members.

[/ QUOTE ]

off topic but with these type of organizations less that 10% of the money actually see the benifactors. the christian one itself is horrible since it only helps children whoes familys convert and practice christianity. which makes a village of poor familys into a village of pour familys with two or three have to abandon their religion to survive.

on topic, people are not willing to help strangers, and what is more strange than a blank face accross at least an ocean, if not on the other side of the world. the only reason charitable organizations exist is because of peoples guilt.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:30 PM

David,

Your post here strung a chord inside me.

I think the embodiment of the human spirit is to ultimately make this world a better place for everyone.

I'm planning on making a personal crusade to various parts of Africa and Western Asia to help those who are severely unfortunate. I can think of no greater gift for myself.

How would you like to join me? I'm sure someone as influential as you could perhaps lead such a worthy crusade.

Lawrence
Old 08-21-2005, 09:35 PM

Peter Singer had a succient way of putting the issue:

$20 will give food to a starving child in Africa. $20 will also buy a CD. If you buy the CD, then you are saying: "This CD is worth more than the life of a starving child in Africa."
Old 08-22-2005, 03:32 AM

Peter Singer should have dropped his crack pipe and joined the Rhodesian Army in Africa to fight Communists during the insurgency if he was so concerned about Africa and Africans. That git should be shot and pissed on. It is moral to do so.