Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-02-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Re: A harder problem...one for GoT

and here's another one.. you're saying Q10 can be a T/F answer?

Q: What is the answer to this question?

A: True.

obviously i understand that you might MAKE the answer true or false, depending on what you need for the other things to hold... but i just see this whole thing as a bunch of bullshit trick questions.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:26 PM

Yes you make answer to Q10 whatever you need to allow other answers to hold. Although it might seem like the questions are abitrary there is a logical step by step way you can deduce the answers to all the question, although not in the order presented. That's what makes it so hard.

aloiz
Old 08-02-2004, 08:29 PM

i don't think you understand what i'm saying.

i understand you can't just "pick numbers from the sky" and have everything still work.

i'm just saying, the questions just start to lose all meaning.

for example, if one of the questions was:

What color is a tree?

and you answered

because you "had to" .. it would be a dumb puzzle.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:29 PM

Could you PM me your solutions aloiz so I can see if they get around the contradictions I'm finding? I'm done trying this quiz the way it's currently worded.

Okay, I got your PM and I see what I overlooked:

<font color="white">There are 6 answers that have to be certain answers in this quiz that everybody should be able to get pretty quickly:

2. 2
3. T
4. 2
5. F
7. F
9. T

The rest should be able to be deduced through multi-variable algebraic equations. I didn't solve it because of a combination of 2 things: I only tried perfect squares that were divisible by 6 up through 36 and didn't bother to go higher, and also I ignored the fact that Q8 could be a negative number, thus making Q6 much easier to solve.

Obviously Q10 doesn't matter one bit. It should be the last answer sovled.</font>

Good quiz. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

GoT
Old 08-02-2004, 08:30 PM

So, I'm trying to tackle this...

I reasoned that Q1 and Q8 must be (4,2), (1,1) OR (1/4, 1/2). I cannot fit any other number pair there such that the two questions mesh correctly. In doing so, I ran into some problems...

The CLOSEST (but incorrect) I got was:

Q1: 1
Q2: 2
Q3: False
Q4: 2
Q5: False
Q6: 1/6
Q7: False
Q8: 1
Q9: False
Q10: -5 1/6

Now, the reason why this is all screwed up is that I got 4 False answers, when Q2 has an answer of 2.

A tricky part of this (in my mind) is the Q2/Q4/Q7 combination. Q4 must have an answer of 1 or 2 (and 0 is not allowed, since the question includes itself in the count). An answer of 3 or higher is too restrictive on the other answers. An answer of 2 forces Q2 to be a 2. An answer of 1 allows Q2 to be a 0 or a 2, forcing Q7's answer.

Am I totally on the wrong track?

-RMJ
Old 08-02-2004, 08:31 PM

Daryn,

Q1 can't just be an arbitrary number. Like I said, if Q9 is True (which is does have to be because of a combination of other questions) then Q1 has one specific solution. You should be able to deduce that it has to be the highest number in the quiz, a perfect square, and divisible by 6. It's not just some arbitrary number. It has to meet a bunch of qualifiers, as does Q8 which is directly connected to Q1.

GoT
Old 08-02-2004, 08:34 PM

Am I totally on the wrong track?

No, you're on the right track. After a little thinking, it's clear that Q2 and Q4 do indeed have to both be 2. So now you know that exactly 2 of the 4 T/F Questions have to be true. Now just figure out which ones have to be True and you'll be lest with an algebra problem.

GoT
Old 08-02-2004, 08:35 PM

got:

are you even reading my posts???

i UNDERSTAND that you cannot just pick ANY number, but what i'm saying is you're just PICKING a number for a question so that it works.

see my tree example above.

my beef with the quiz is, the answer you are forced to pick to make everything work just doesn't make sense.

forget it by the way, i understand your problem. you guys enjoy it. forget i said anything.

Some are right, and some are wrong. Telling you which ones would make it too easy. There's at least 1 true/false question that is wrong, and at least one numerical answer wrong. There are no fractional answers. All numerical answers are integers.

aloiz

I'm working on it but got frustrated.

Here are some things I've figured out:

A1 (the answer to question 1) must be strictly positive. It clearly can't be zero since Q8 would then have no valid answer. Clearly A8 = sqrt(A1). Notice that A8 = A1/A8 =&gt; A1 = A8^2, A8 = 0. So clearly A1 must be strictly positive.

Because of that, the sum of all other numbered answers (including Q10) must be 0.

Because of that, A6 must be (1/6)*A1 (since there are six numbered answers including A6, and the total sum is A1, A6 = A1/6.

A10 must be negative (and hence A5 is false).

Anybody come up with anything else?