Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-02-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: PCA DSO Hand - 5 left - Do I make the call?

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 PM

you did see the white text, right?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:28 PM

Aha! no i did not.

Alright, makes sense now.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(discounting 99 by 1/2)

[/ QUOTE ]

how'd you do that on Pokerstove? just make a 9 a dead card?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't have pokerstove, i do all the math in my head.
<font color="white"> just kidding, i set up a quick excel spreadsheet </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone Bow Down
Old 11-02-2005, 02:31 PM

TT+, AKs.
I auto-muck AQ.

A push like this can be from a reasonable range of strong hands. Certainly 66-TT would do this.... not wanting to put a 1/3 of their stack in with a standard raise and be guaranteed to see overs. On the same line, QQ-AA likely would raise to 300-400, knowing that their chips are going in regardless.

In my experience against fairly tight players, this is AK or a decent pocket pair. I want to be calling with a slightly better range than that.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT+, AKs.
I auto-muck AQ.

A push like this can be from a reasonable range of strong hands. Certainly 66-TT would do this.... not wanting to put a 1/3 of their stack in with a standard raise and be guaranteed to see overs. On the same line, QQ-AA likely would raise to 300-400, knowing that their chips are going in regardless.

In my experience against fairly tight players, this is AK or a decent pocket pair. I want to be calling with a slightly better range than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, so we'll give him a range of 66-TT, AK.

Still wanna muck 99?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:45 PM

(700th post, so I hope this makes sense [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

[ QUOTE ]

I gave him a tight range: AA-99, AK, AQ, AJs, KQs (discounting 99 by 1/2)
and it was pretty clear that your calling range is AA-JJ, AK.

I gave him a medium tight range of: AA-99, AK-AJ, KQ and it looks like that calling w/ TT and AQ would be maringaly +ev, but you should probably still fold due to table circumstances (better player, stealing blinds, players left to act, etc...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Although ranges are of course important, I think this particualr problem requires consideration of the fact that this is a satellite and Hero is essentially playing for first.

I still like calling with TT/AQ, because, as I described in my first reply, doesn't the payout structure mean chips gained are more valuable than chips lost? Accordingly, I like the marginal call here.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:48 PM

KneeCo is touching on the most important factor. This is not a normally structured MTT. LLoyd wants 1st and nothing else really matters, to him it is winner take all. This should not only open up UTGs range but it should dramatically open up Lloyd's calling range as well.
~Justin
Old 11-02-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(700th post, so I hope this makes sense [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

[ QUOTE ]

I gave him a tight range: AA-99, AK, AQ, AJs, KQs (discounting 99 by 1/2)
and it was pretty clear that your calling range is AA-JJ, AK.

I gave him a medium tight range of: AA-99, AK-AJ, KQ and it looks like that calling w/ TT and AQ would be maringaly +ev, but you should probably still fold due to table circumstances (better player, stealing blinds, players left to act, etc...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Although ranges are of course important, I think this particualr problem requires consideration of the fact that this is a satellite and Hero is essentially playing for first.

I still like calling with TT/AQ, because, as I described in my first reply, doesn't the payout structure mean chips gained are more valuable than chips lost? Accordingly, I like the marginal call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

the conventional wisdowm is that chips lost are always more valuable than chips gained in non-winner-take-all. this is closer to WTA than most MTT, so you should be willing to take gambles with only slight edges (where you need a bigger edge in a normal mtt and none in a wta, if skills are equal).
Old 11-02-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KneeCo is touching on the most important factor. This is not a normally structured MTT. LLoyd wants 1st and nothing else really matters, to him it is winner take all. This should not only open up UTGs range but it should dramatically open up Lloyd's calling range as well.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

but there is still 'go broke, go home' to consider (i can't believe i just typed that). If he feels that he can assert his edge with less risk later on, then he shouldn't be taking -EV gambles at this stage. If the blinds were doubled, then you might have a point since he might not find a situation that is "only slightly -EV" in the next few hand.

Also, it's always about ranges. It's what decision you make after determining the range that you have other implications.

<u>LLoyd wants 1st and nothing else really matters, to him it is winner take all.</u>

not according to him.

<u>This should not only open up UTGs range </u>

i think that was taken into account.