Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-16-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: 300-600 hand VS Mimi Tran

[ QUOTE ]
if its as you say why did you call on the turn. just to hit a ten i guess. or hope she doesnt bet on the end. i guess.
also why did you three bet before the flop.
since you showed great weakness why did you fold on the river. you induced her to bet any weak hands she might have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm crazy thinking she wont fire again after I have called twice and a good player who called two cold out the bb overcalled the turn. Anyhow I think you are probably right about the turn. At the time I guess I was thinking she might fire again without an ace and probably take a check on the river, and I didnt want to make a mistake in a big pot before I was sure I was beat. I also didnt have a ton of info on the bb's hand after he just called the flop, but once he called again on the turn I really didnt like it, especailly since I know he thinks at least one of us has a big ace here. I agree I completely butchered the hand up the river, which is why I posted it, but all you guys who are saying the river fold is horrible, yada yada yada, I disgree.

Also, what makes you say I showed "great weakness". Why cant I just be calling down a cap with a marginal hand? Its not like I three bet, she called, and I just check called the flop and turn. IMO that would would be great weakness. Also what are you doing with this hand preflop? Dumping it or just calling if you dont like three betting? Thanks for the reply, always like getting your insight.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:35 AM

HiSteve,

"what makes you say I showed 'great weakness'."

Postflop, you check and call, check and call, check. She wouldn't put you on A-K, A-Q, or A-J. Wouldn't she then be likely to value bet her A-x on the river?

Andy
Old 10-17-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HiSteve,

"what makes you say I showed 'great weakness'."

Postflop, you check and call, check and call, check. She wouldn't put you on A-K, A-Q, or A-J. Wouldn't she then be likely to value bet her A-x on the river?

Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats assuming she also puts the BB on nothing, and that worse aces are in her range, which I didnt think they were. Anyhow getting 12-1 I guess its a lot closer that I thought at the time. I do disagree with those who seem to think its a no brainer.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:07 AM

This was a bad line.....
Old 10-16-2005, 11:04 PM

Preflop i like.. Flop i like. Turn I raise and fold to a threebet on turn.. and check river.. You could str8 call down too...

Calling flop/turn and folding river is not good.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop i like.. Flop i like. Turn I raise and fold to a threebet on turn.. and check river.. You could str8 call down too...

Calling flop/turn and folding river is not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that line. Basically the reason I posted the hand was to see if people liked checkraising the turn and folding to a three bet or check raising the flop. I wasnt going to check raise flop, bet the turn and fold to a raise, because I could see either one of them raising me with a worse hand and checking the river.

FWIW, I had planned on just calling down, but when I got there, after the BB had come along for the turn, knowing what hands he can call with preflop, and what he thinks of me, it didnt seem like a tough decision. Also like I've said a bunch of times smaller aces were IMO not in her cap range, and I think she fully expected to get called on the river after we both called a pretty drawless board on the turn. Obviously if it were HU on the river, I would have called. But not only do I not think she is going to try to blow it past both of us on the river, I think the BB has me beat a good majority of the time anyway.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:20 AM

Preflop is close between 3 betting and calling. I haven't played with Mimi, and don't know if she tilts or not. However, I'm hesitant to build big pots out of position with good players who play high and know that you don't. I don't think your hand is that good preflop. Put it this way - to her, you are some nobody young kid, probably playing on a short bankroll. Again, I'm just trying to think about what she is thinking about, I'm not making any comment about you, as I haven't played with you either, and know nothing about your situation. She's going to test you at all times. I am almost positive that this is the case here. I think you have to call on the river since you got there.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is close between 3 betting and calling. I haven't played with Mimi, and don't know if she tilts or not. However, I'm hesitant to build big pots out of position with good players who play high and know that you don't. I don't think your hand is that good preflop. Put it this way - to her, you are some nobody young kid, probably playing on a short bankroll. Again, I'm just trying to think about what she is thinking about, I'm not making any comment about you, as I haven't played with you either, and know nothing about your situation. She's going to test you at all times. I am almost positive that this is the case here. I think you have to call on the river since you got there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a pretty well thought out response. I do think the player in BB changes the hand quite a bit, but I guess its possible she could be pushing something here.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:42 AM

Too bad I can't offer more - it's a tought spot, indeed. Checkraising hte turn is a choice that you have to consider, but I don't know if BB is folding a hand that beats you, which I suppose is your goal with that play. Again, this is a reason that I prefer to play my big pots with position or really big hands preflop. This is especially true when playing with strangers who will "try to show you how they play in their game." Good post.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is especially true when playing with strangers who will "try to show you how they play in their game."

[/ QUOTE ]