Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-22-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: i am the only loon that folds tptk here?

[ QUOTE ]
ok, well, keep throwing away chips with AK early, and pretty clearly, there is no reason you should even consider the possibility of another way to play a hand. i mean god, it is poker, and there cant possibly be more than one answer can there? golly gee, im wrong and i submit to everyone who does worse than me forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, i'm only a $20 player, and i feel the exact same way. I seem too often getting short stacked by missing AK once or sometimes even twice, leaving me w/ 400 chips at level 3--- where i would love to AK again
Old 03-22-2005, 01:57 AM

yea, i know you are right. i have never raised ak, and im definitely saying its never correct. lets misinterpret a situational play as somethin one does all the time. which is of course why i always lose and cant even seem to come close to making money at the 109s.. oh wait.

and yea, the tournament cant be won on level 1. and it can only be lost. and its not worth raising AK EVERY time you are utg or in the sb with limpers. period. if you think so you cant possibly be successful.

oh, and feel free to criticize my play, i will continue making more than 95% of the worlds population with my terrible preflop ak play. thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 02:02 AM

Preflop raising or not raising boils down to personal preference. I like raising to build the pot and possibly get it heads up, but I don't have a major problem with calling. I like the flop check raise but would have made it 200-250. The fold on the turn is impressive, I'm not sure I could do it. The bet and the cold call in front must have set off warning bells and good job reacting to it. You still have a healthy stack after this hand. I think I might have gone broke. Ok probably gone broke.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:53 AM

Interesting discussion. I have the exact same thoughts on AK out of position in SNGs as you, although I have been wondering lately if I'm being too weak/passive with it in the blinds. But like you say, it's horrible to play out of position against multiple limpers. In fact it doesn't play great against limpers at all in my opinion, whatever the position. I just feel that in Party SNGs your relatively small number of chips are just too valuable to be raising AK in these situations, if you plan to pretty much give it up the 70% of the time you miss. And it's hard to do much else - the limpers will only fold if you overbet, which isn't worth it, and on the flop so many players will call you down with any piece of the board that it's really not worth throwing out more chips when you miss most of the time.

So anyway, although it seems most disagree, I'm with you on your preflop play and will continue to do as I have been for now. I probably would have led on the flop rather than checked. I wouldn't want to risk letting three players see another card if it's checked round. Though in this case leading out would have made it much harder to get away from the hand so cheaply. And yes, as soon as you get cold-called, and he then bets out on the turn, not only into your check but into the flop raiser who is still to act behind, it screams 77 or 55, and you are right to get out.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:35 PM

Why wouldn't you raise this pot preflop, and also why not bet bet out on this flop? Why would you check/call on the flop and then check/call on the turn?

I don't understand your play with this hand at all. I think you played this hand in way that maximized your chance to lose it.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:40 PM

You clearly miss out on bigger pots when you hit with it, by not raising with this hand. To say it is not that strong of a hand, is just simply an erroneous belief.

of any two cards you could have that are not paired there are not better. I just beat KK with it so I am feeling pretty good about it.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You clearly miss out on bigger pots when you hit with it, by not raising with this hand. To say it is not that strong of a hand, is just simply an erroneous belief.

of any two cards you could have that are not paired there are not better. I just beat KK with it so I am feeling pretty good about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a lot to learn about SNGs and No limit in general, perhaps you came from a limit background, or perhaps you just aren't very good, but you should try listening and attempt at understanding in this thread instead of posting idiotic things like this.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:09 PM

no need to get so defensive - you asked about the hand, people are just letting you know what they think about it.

clearly you are an excellent player - that's not what's in question here. holla [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2005, 10:34 PM

well, considering I have tripled my bankroll playing SNGs in the last 3 months, I do okay. Not raising with AK is a travesty, but don't take my word, how about Dan Harrington, or David Sklansy or TJ Cloutier or any of the myriad other great poker players that would say playing AK is best played against few opponents, and generally raised, and if necessary reraised with.

I must say that I have never seen someone tear into somebody, just because they have a different point of view. What a great forum this will be when people get ridiculed for posting because someone disagrees with it.

I do understand one thing Apathy, and that is that you are a classless jerk. When is your book coming out, or are you just doing your best Josh Ariah impersonation. You have it down to perfection.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:42 PM

You sorta brought that upon yourself with this gem:

[ QUOTE ]
I just beat KK with it so I am feeling pretty good about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, saying *this* doesn't help support yourself at all:

[ QUOTE ]
well, considering I have tripled my bankroll playing SNGs in the last 3 months, I do okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, yes, Apathy was perhaps a bit harsh. Not *that* harsh though, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Who loves how ppl take things so personally on *an internet message board*