Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-09-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Reccomend me some wine.

I'll second the vote for spending about $20 on chardonnay at a store that has a decent wine selection...they'll be plenty good for this gathering. Chardonnays grown in the russian river valley tend to be very yummy...Belvedere Rusian River Valley is pretty good.

If you want champagne/sparkling wine, Moet White Star is pretty good.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need two bottles of white wine or champagn. I don't drink it and don't know anything about it. I'm looking to spend around 40 to 80 bucks. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Domestic

Tattinger Domaine Carnerros is very good as well as Gloria Fedderreereerr's sparkling wine.

White Wine-wise Benzinger makes an awsome Chardonay from their Ricci Vineyard. Only problem is you have to drive to Glen Ellen (Sonoma) to get it. Sterling Vineyards also has a nice Chardonay (winery only).

Kunde Vineyards is alright ($10/bottle) and you can find it everywhere.

Import

A nice Vernaccia di San Gimiganigo or Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio goes well on a hot summer day.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:10 PM

Just asking the guy at your local liquor store (if its big enough, ask if they have a wine guy, specifically) will be more than enough to get you a couple decent bottles, and easier than writing down all of these suggestions and searching for them.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just asking the guy at your local liquor store (if its big enough, ask if they have a wine guy, specifically) will be more than enough to get you a couple decent bottles, and easier than writing down all of these suggestions and searching for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, them bitches lie and sell you what they have too much of.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im going to a familly dinner for an aunts birthday kind of thing. I was asked to pickup 2 bottles of white wine or champagn. I don't want to look like a i picked up the cheapest thing (I was told just don't get boxed) i could find, but i don't want to spend over a hundred bucks. Its not that big of deal though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go with white wine. Pick up any Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc from Napa or Sonoma that has a nice looking bottle and an impressive sounding name. Clos du Bois tastes good plus it has a fancy french name with a fancy bottle. Don't spend more than 30 / bottle, it won't be worth it. Don't spend less than 10 / bottle either though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if your gonna go with this area.. go with Clos Pegas or Cakebread if you can find it. Well priced and better than average for both although Clos Pegas may be a bit hard to find.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nah, them bitches lie and sell you what they have too much of.

[/ QUOTE ]
Be skilled in differentiating between advice and a sales pitch.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Domaine Chandon/Piper Sonoma/Gloria Ferrer/Mumm are a few brands of decent sparkling wines in the $15-20 range.

[/ QUOTE ]

"You can get a whole bunch of Mumms...?"
Old 09-09-2005, 05:35 PM

If you have a Harris Teeter near you, you can just go there and either ask for assistance or just pick out two bottles that are in your price range that have the rating displayed on a sticker near them on the shelf... there are plenty of bottles that get ratings in the high 80's or low 90's in that price range, and they'll be good (enough).
Old 09-09-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if your gonna go with this area.. go with Clos Pegas or Cakebread if you can find it. Well priced and better than average for both although Clos Pegas may be a bit hard to find.

[/ QUOTE ]
If your Aunt knows anything about wine you'll want to head toward $25.00/bottle so she remembers you in her will. Right on with the Cakebread. I would also say Grgich Hills, but it may be a bit too pricey.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Domaine Chandon/Piper Sonoma/Gloria Ferrer/Mumm are a few brands of decent sparkling wines in the $15-20 range. If you want a nice champagne for a reasonable price, you can get Veuve Clicquot for $35-40 a bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody knows their wine...Piper Sonoma, properly chilled & served in CLEAN cold fluted glasses can pass for DonnieP anytime [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]