Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 08-17-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Computer RAM and other ramblings

Hi.....First, let me thank everyone for their help.....and especially you MyMind for spending so much time.

I disabled all my McAfee anti-virus and everything and it didnt help.

All I did get when I opened a few web pages was the following error message:

acrobat/ehelper:iexplore.exe application error

instruction at "0x0234494e" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be read. Click "ok" to terminate.

All it did when I clicked ok was close the web page and then I simply had to open up another webpage and everything is fine. I dont know if this error message helps to figure out what is wrong, but I am just about to give up.

I am leaving for the day, but I want to thank you all for your help. If that error message helps diagnose my problem thats great, if not well then UGH! UGH! UGH!

Hopefully, when I get back late tonight/tomorrow I will see a miracle cure posted here to help me, LOL. I think this is helpless unless I have someone here looking at what happens and then going through my computer while all 8 tables are open to see what the problem is.

This is driving me nuts since I bought this computer with these specs mainly so that I could play 8 tables. So far, between the computer, monitors, and extra memory it has been a waste of 2k. It just stinks that I read about so many 2+2ers using less powerful computers to 8 table and I go out and overspend and I still cant 8 table. UGH! UGH! UGH!

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Any other helpful ideas I would appreciate.

Thank you, Lisa
Old 08-18-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DVD burning need like no ram at all. Have you checked that DMA is turned on on the drive? You should be able to play poker or whatever you want and burn at the same time with no problems on any decent computer.

Read about it here: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...optDriveTweak/

Hope it helps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have to move some stuff around. I added a DVD burner after I got the computer so they are both (DVD drive and DVD burner) on the same ribbon with the burner being the slave. It (burner) won't switch to DMA, stays at PIO. The DVD drive that is the master is in Ultra DMA mode 2. I'm guessing if I switched them around (master <-> slave) then I could burn using DMA. I did start saving files to be burned on another hard drive (long story but Dell dropped the ball and I ended up with an extra, larger hard drive and they don't seem to care). Sound like a plan? Thanks!
Old 08-18-2005, 04:28 AM

"It (burner) won't switch to DMA, stays at PIO."

Just as I suspected, once it switches to DMA the computer should not slow down any more. I would try running the burner as master and not connect the other dvd drive at all. See if it does DMA now. If it does and the computer wont slow down when burning, then add the other dvd drive as slave and see if it works now. If it does, nice, if not, just disconnect the slave and run burner only [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also make sure that the master is actually set to master and slave to slave. May sound stupid but worth the checkup.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"It (burner) won't switch to DMA, stays at PIO."

Just as I suspected, once it switches to DMA the computer should not slow down any more. I would try running the burner as master and not connect the other dvd drive at all. See if it does DMA now. If it does and the computer wont slow down when burning, then add the other dvd drive as slave and see if it works now. If it does, nice, if not, just disconnect the slave and run burner only [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also make sure that the master is actually set to master and slave to slave. May sound stupid but worth the checkup.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be 'cause I set it up....damn, I'll go check! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks for all the help. I'll switch those around.