Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-09-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Could someone please comment on the merit of these thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
Myself and many other posters have noticed that in the past couple months there has been an increase in "spite callers" at the $22-$33 level. Perhaps the term itself is inappropriate, because much of the time I sincerely doubt there is any "spite" involved. But nevertheless, bad players are making incredibly loose calls on or close to the bubble, whether out of spite for us, the pushbotters, or because they honestly feel they are making a correct call, or even because they are just impatient as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

If some ane addressed this below, sorry no time to read since I should be working. First, if you are on the bubble, it seems logical to call the "pushbot" or all-in way more often. If you understand the concepts and are getting short-stacked, you are most likely reaching the critical point where if one more blind is lost, your fold equity will become non-existent. So marginal calls become necessary. Even if you don't understand fold equity, if you are short stacked, and blinds are $400, you pretty much know you have to do something fast, even if you are nearly the worst player in the world. So I wouldn't call it "spite calls". I might refer to it as a "no other choice" call. Of course this is also player dependent, but so is everything else you find here, isn't it?

Second, if you think people are calling your pushes with weak-weak cards because they are upset at your aggressiveness, isn't that a good thing? The posts about assessing a range and +EV are well put in response to this as well. Most of the time, for me at least, there is not much room for playing "poker" when you reach bubble.

Last, I would also not discount the fact that a weak-weak call may have been made with cards that were relatively strong compared with what that particular caller has seen recently. We have all had dry runs on the bubble, and if we want to be ITM, well we have to gamble too.