Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-21-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: A session in review with regards to preflop

another bad run of cards. nothing stands out here much at all, but if you're 14% still, you're still not playing enough hands...

also your results over the last 6k on a certain subset of hands are not very meaningful at all.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

75. UTG+1: A9o - I decide to tilt off a raise. Folded to maniac in BB. I bet the empty flop and turn. He calls down with Q8o and catches his 8 on the river.

terrible... lay down preflop. if ur tilting leave the table

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible maybe, but the play worked exactly as I wanted it too. My goal was to get heads up with maniac. It worked. Then I wanted to take control of hand and have him call me down, which I figured he would with any two and he did. Normally I dont do this but since I had already decided it was my next to last hand I decided to see if my reads were good.

Then I left.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

75. UTG+1: A9o - I decide to tilt off a raise. Folded to maniac in BB. I bet the empty flop and turn. He calls down with Q8o and catches his 8 on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible maybe, but the play worked exactly as I wanted it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the definition of results orientation
Old 11-22-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

I had a table read that I could raise here and gets head up with the BB. Now normally I dont make this play, but I was a little pissy with the session results so I tested this read to see if it was accurate and it was. I also had a read on BB that he would call down with any 2. Again the read was right.

In this instance my reads were dead on accurate and I lost the pot, so I fail to see how this defines anything. There are lots of plays made in poker that are done becuase of reads rather then ideal poker, blind stealing with crap becuase you know the blinds are weak is one example - you would probably praise this as good poker though, so I do not think you completely understand the concept of results orientated.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is fine actually. A9o is not a standard raise from UTG+1, but if the table is tight there's a very good chance you'll fold a better ace behind you. If you are going to play it you clearly have to raise it so well done. Too many people get hung up on preflop absolutes imo.

Betting flop and turn against a calling station is also usually standard depending on the flop (betting the flop, checking behind on the turn and calling a river bet are also fine as there's a good chance he'll bluff the river and you don't risk betting the turn and having to call a river bet anyway).
Old 11-22-2005, 12:17 PM

As far as the bolded ones:

Hand 8: Fine - Limp at a loose table fold at a tight.
Hand 9: Raise/limp/fold are all ok here depending on table conditions.
Hand 12: Fine.
Hand 29: I raise. This is a great hand to isolate the maniac, especially if the blinds are tight.
Hand 56: Easy fold, nothing questionable about this one.

Unbolded ones:

Hand 20: K2o. If it's folded to me in the small blind I'm usually raising any ace or king and leading any flop.
Hand 27: I lead the flop.
Hand 62: This is usually a raise for me unless the blinds are loose and go to showdown very often.

After reading othe discussions in the thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 45: Bet flop, Bet turn blank, Bet river blank and stupidly called his reraise on the river. At that point I didnt have a good read on him and the table had been folding alot when the maniac was betting so I thought I could push him off and possibly still have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I check the river and consider calling/folding. Bet/calling the river is way overplaying ace high here.

Hand 53 I also call. Raising generally isn't going to thin the field to less than 3 opponents and you don't have a huge edge. Finally, you already have the button. Betting the flop is not a bluff, you often have the best hand.

Stop worrying about how other players are doing over 80 hands. How do you think this guy does long term? You are clearly letting him put you on tilt.