Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-02-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: How would you play these rivers and what do you put your opponent

Theres a third heart on the board as well.
Calling a 3-bet all in here with KQ IS a -loose- call.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are missing TONS of value if you're not raising the river in hand 2. I'd rather get all in every time than call every time. People overplay trips, no kicker all the time. And people make loose calls on paired boards all the time. And stacks are not deep.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the river King were not a heart, I would be raising for sure. The heart gives me pause. Villian is likely to PFR with AK, bet the flop with K7, 77, 33, 22; and fold preflop with K3 and K2. So the only thing we really should worry about is a flush. An OK villian may semi-bluff the turn with a flush draw, hoping Hero doesn't have a K, so he takes the small pot down right there.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:18 PM

Pot is 60 and he has 80 behind. It is impossible to make a loose call here.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:21 PM

Only because you will be priced in after you raise him. If the king at the end wasn't the heart, easy raise. Here, I call.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:27 PM

He has worse trips or a lower pair that will call a raise way more often than he has a better hand. You are losing value by not raising. And you don't have to worry about a 3-bet because obviously you are so short it doesn't matter.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:31 PM

If he had hero's stack size (or at least much larger), would you call instead of raising? And how would you react to a huge 3bet then if you opted to raise?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:34 PM

I'd probably raise and fold to a push. You are ahead very often here and will be called very often by worse hands.

Edit: The only time I would DEFINITELY NOT raise the river is if I were playing against someone really good who would a)be unlikely to pay me off with a worse hand and b)may bluff me off my hand by pushing a worse hand. That would really suck.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:51 PM

Hand 1--I would have folded on the turn (but since you called the turn you're pretty much stuck calling the river since that 3 didn't help him).

Hand 2--I would have put him on a king--I don't think he's got K7 K3 K2 or AK. I'd probably would have moved in (but there are a lot of times in which I would have just called). I don't like min raise since then he can move in with a worse king and you then have no idea what to do.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:52 PM

There is only one king left in the deck, and 3 to the flush is on the board. If he has a hand here that is willing to just call your raise, its more likely to be a flush than a king. Maybe you will get paid off by two pair often enough, but I don't see it here. Also, if he really is a tilting donkey with a bigger stack than in this example, and he pushed, you would often be folding the best hand, which would be an even bigger mistake.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:03 PM

I believe I made that point that if he can push with a worse hand I will not raise. But there are plenty of worse hands that he can call with getting 3:1 on his money or whatever it is if you push the river.