Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-30-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Doctors - Treating Diseases Instead of Preventing them

[ QUOTE ]
i didn't even read this but i know this is why my grandpa told me to tell colonol radley to not to give into the the [censored]' vietcong and that we may be prisoner's but we ain't given them any information, they are just gonna have to kill us first.

true story. it was yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kept this watch up my ass for two years. And now, I give it to you.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:05 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I used to workout pretty frequently for a few years, alternating mass building and cutting cycles. And what I noticed was whenever I would "cut up" and eat very strictly (minimal carbs, low fat, no preservatives, no alcohol, etc.), every single physical ailment I suffered from, would almost immediately disappear.

My allergies would completely vanish, and my eczema would clear up in only a week or two after eliminating all unhealthy foods. My moods were 100% improved, and I no longer suffered from headaches. In fact, I would not be surprised at all if just about every physical aliment or disease we have are the result of poor diet/lifestyle and an over-prescribing pharmaceutical industry.

The body has an amazing capacity to heal and restore itself, and I can promise you that’s something the multi-billion dollar medical industry does not want you to know.

They are just as shady and money-hungry as any other big industry, and the last thing they want is for you to be healthy. Think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup + they profit off current diseases.

As Chris Rock said, they're still pissed about all the money they have lost from curing Polio.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:23 PM

I offered....
Old 09-30-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Some disjointed thoughts from a doctor

Im definately still skeptical about this section of the book, but everything else is gold. One of the reasons im so quick to believe this guy is a lot of stuff in the book are things i have learned myself through trial and error, etc..

Also, is preventive medicine available as an advanced degree? Can you major in it? he is kinda vague on this issues. Its not really that big of a concern.

a lot of the quotes I gave have huge gaps in them where he shows examples and explains his thinking, i just didnt post them.

I do think its an interesting book and definetly thought provoking, but im trying to decide whether or not he is simply trying to point out how doctors are taught or if he is trying to imply that doctors dont tread patients to prevent disease because they will miss out on prescription money, etc..
Old 09-30-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i didn't even read this but i know this is why my grandpa told me to tell colonol radley to not to give into the the [censored]' vietcong and that we may be prisoner's but we ain't given them any information, they are just gonna have to kill us first.

true story. it was yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

more stories. this is much better than OP.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:35 PM

We all know the cure for cancer too. We're keeping it from you so we can profit off your slow, lingering death.

What about:

Put your baby in a carseat in the back.
Wear a helmet.
Wear a seatbelt.
Stop smoking.
Reduce sun exposure or wear sunscreen.
Lose weight. And no, the doctor's not going to say that every time. What do you think fat people will do? Ya think they will keep going to doctors?

Reduce your blood pressure.
Reduce stress.
Exercise.
Keep your cholesterol low.
Take aspirin to prevent heart disease if in a risk category.
Eat a varied diet with lots of fruit and vegetables.
Get your mammogram / colonoscopy / skin cancer screening / PSA and prostate exam when appropriate.
Get an annual exam.

Any of that sound familiar?

That author is painfully wrong, except for the expensive drug part. Advertising works, and the pharma industry spends a tremendous amount of money getting docs to prescribe marginally beneficial expensive therapies. Frankly, a lot of docs are chumps in that regard. But no different from the rest of the world falling for ads. Some of the rest is just magical thinking: "If I just eat right, I won't get sick." Well, bad beats happen. That's just the way it is. All you can do is increase your number of outs, and not by nearly as many as most would like to believe. No matter how much broccoli you eat, life can still suck.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We all know the cure for cancer too. We're keeping it from you so we can profit off your slow, lingering death.

What about:

Wear a helmet.
Wear a seatbelt.
Stop smoking.
Lose weight. And no, the doctor's not going to say that every time. What do you think fat people will do? Ya think they will keep going to doctors?

Reduce stress.
Exercise.
Get your mammogram / colonoscopy / skin cancer screening / PSA and prostate exam when appropriate.
Get an annual exam.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and who the hell's gonna do any of that [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Cigarette companies tell you that smoking is bad for you too.

Seriously though, a lot of those examples are common sense not exclusive to the medical industry. The rest are just more product pitches or invites to appointments to make more product pitches.

Although I really admire the subtlety in clumping them all together.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What about:

Wear a helmet.
Wear a seatbelt.
Stop smoking.

Reduce stress.
Exercise.
Get an annual exam.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and who the hell's gonna do any of that [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though, a lot of those examples are common sense not exclusive to the medical industry. The rest are just more product pitches or invites to appointments to make more product pitches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most became "common knowledge" only because medical research identified it and active campaigning by medical groups made it known. Even losing weight, reducing stress and eating a varied diet only became widely held "truths" after substantiation by a lot of medical studies.

Doctors almost universally do not make money off of antihypertensives and cholesterol lowering agents. They prescribe them but do not sell them. Also, for affected individuals those drugs substantially increase life expectancy, pretty much as "preventive" as you can get. And, yes, diet and exercise are usually recommended first.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:20 AM

I don't know what to say, other than that I always try to counsel my patients to maintain their general health because it's so much easier than having to see one of us MDs to fix something that could have been prevented. Books like this generally misrepresent things and rely on a lot of selective information. Believe what you want.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what to say, other than that I always try to counsel my patients to maintain their general health because it's so much easier than having to see one of us MDs to fix something that could have been prevented. Books like this generally misrepresent things and rely on a lot of selective information. Believe what you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a question, if a patient of yours wants to lose weight what kind of diet do you recommend in terms of macronutrient intake, low fat high carbs? high fat no carbs? etc...

just curious