Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-05-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: how bad was this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check call the river man. Betting lets him know you have a flush so he auto pushes a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]Why would a villain that is smart enough to price villain on on the turn be dumb enough to price villain out on the river? If villain is smart enough to underbet the turn, why is he overbetting the river? Unless villain has a read that Hero will make this call with even a weak flush, the overbet makes me skeptical.

[/ QUOTE ]

see my post above...the average party donk auto calls this with a 3 high flush at least half the time....maybe villain isn't giving hero credit for being better than that, but if they will call this half the time, then the push is better than a minraise that gets called 100% of the time.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check call the river man. Betting lets him know you have a flush so he auto pushes a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]Why would a villain that is smart enough to price villain on on the turn be dumb enough to price villain out on the river? If villain is smart enough to underbet the turn, why is he overbetting the river? Unless villain has a read that Hero will make this call with even a weak flush, the overbet makes me skeptical.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the river push was a pretty good one by villian bc I did make it pretty clear i had the flush and he figured i would be stupid enough to call which I did.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because more then half the people playing party 50 are physically unable to lay down a flush.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would a villain that is smart enough to price villain on on the turn be dumb enough to price villain out on the river? If villain is smart enough to underbet the turn, why is he overbetting the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Overbetting river is smart. It works very often because many people will talk themself in "whoa why he is overbetting this must be a bluff" mood.
First thing to realize about no-limit play is that big bet at the end usually means big hand. There are tons of players who cant learn this simple rule and this is why river pushes are so efficient.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:11 PM

he potted the flop, but when the board paired he only bet half the pot....looks like the full house to me betting an amount big enough that he still makes profit but small enough that the flush draws might chase...which you did. Then when the flush hit, and you lead out on the river he goes all in. It's either the above scenario, or he too was drawing at the flush and just hit it, in which case you are likely to be ahead. The question becomes how often is it scenario 1 and how often is it scenario 2. Given the river action, I lean towards it being scenario 1 more than half the time so I would fold here. This is relevant to the thread about how often should you overbet the river...i'm guessing he's putting you on a flush, maybe a big one and he thinks you'll call the push...curious if you did or not.