Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

Old 08-23-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Going pro Article

[ QUOTE ]
just think that 5-10 would be the minimum size to play inorder to make 50k a year or more

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only is $50K doable at $3-6 but $75K is as well! $50K is really a gimme for anyone with serious work ethic.

$75K is realistic if you have the work ethic and discipline foremost to get in hours even when you may not want to play You also need to understand a bit about human psychology by that I mean when you do run poorly you dont jump in bigger games to recoup loses,etc -you will have to be aware of all the traps that gamblers(yes poker isstill gamblin) can fall into and avoid them-for most players they learn this the hard way.

You will also need to play well in short and full $3-6 LHE games with a decent rakeback plan. $50K-$75K easy? matters what your temperment is ..can you put in long hours,do you enjoy the game? For someone who doesnt like to play and can't put in alot of hours this would be more tortuous then easy even if they are a fine player.

Saying it's easy and doing it are 2 different things. For most players it is anything but easy because of the bad runs,the boredom,the isolation etc.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:46 AM

I haven't read past page 1, so forgive me if this is repetitive...but is 4K a month before taxes, health care, retirements savings, etc. a realistic salary? You'd get the same deal at Starbucks at not have to sweat a variance bomb every month.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read past page 1, so forgive me if this is repetitive...but is 4K a month before taxes, health care, retirements savings, etc. a realistic salary? You'd get the same deal at Starbucks at not have to sweat a variance bomb every month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Money is all relative... From a "global" perspective, 50K/yr probably puts you in the top 1% of earners.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for aprox 75 hours a month you think thats bad at 3-6? ok
you need to play 150 hours to make 4k. is that good? Ypu tell me

[/ QUOTE ]

No that's not good.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No that's not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

4k a month is an above average salary. Maybe it is less than you are accustomed to, but I would consider anything above average to be good in the general sense of the word. Especially when you can make an above average salary playing low limit poker.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No that's not good.

[/ QUOTE ]
4k a month is an above average salary. Maybe it is less than you are accustomed to, but I would consider anything above average to be good in the general sense of the word. Especially when you can make an above average salary playing low limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Above average if you work at Walmart. With all the college kids on 2+2 I'd hope your sights were set a little higher than 4K a month. My son just graduated college with a degree in theater and was offered a 24K a year starting salary for part time work while he builds his resume.

BTW, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room for job promotion playing poker unless you are in the top tier. Not to mention lack of benefits.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:40 AM

PokerHorse wrote: [ QUOTE ]
Realistic earnings= 3-6 holdem 1200-1400 monthly.
This I believe is reality,.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you forgetting rakeback and bonuses. You can easily make that much on rakeback and bonuses alone.

(I'm a newbie, my apologies it rakeback is a taboo topic)
Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 AM

I play at party and cant get rakeback, but I wouldnt put it into the equation as those things change.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play at party and cant get rakeback, but I wouldnt put it into the equation as those things change.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your original post and the actual difficulties of multitabling for a livable income.

But I think it's okay to include bonuses and rakebacks into the equation. Sure those things can change, but so can the whole dang internet poker thing! It could all be over in a few years, who is to say. In the meantime, take advantage of every opportunity, I say.

-ptmusic
Old 06-29-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I can safely say that for example; you should not multi-table more than 2-3 games of 6 maxx

[/ QUOTE ]

You’re kidding, right?

It is easy and simple to make $50k a year playing $3-6.

Play 4 tables of $3-6, playing 6 hours per day 5 days per week, making 1.5BB/hr x 48 weeks a year, so 4x6x6x5x1.5x48 = $51.8k/year

30/hrs a week with a month’s vacation tossed in assuming only a 1.5BB win rate is certainly do-able for a winning player.

Just because you can’t play 3 tables shorthanded doesn’t mean other can’t. There are quite a few posters here who can play 6, 8 or even 12 tables effectively.

You’d be much better off trying to learn from those who can do it, rather than adamantly deny reality.