Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-10-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Post flop play #2

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, Re-raising a bet with three overcards (including an ace) to a post flop raiser is not a smart play. It is outsmarting yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm betting 200 to win 265 that he doesn't have an ace. His bet on the flop tells me that he doesn't have an ace.

I bet, he folded and claimed to have JJ. What's the point of having position if you just ignore the information your opponent gives you?

I'll admit that the pre-flop call was borderline, and investing 25% of my stack with no read was questionable.

I'm not posting these hands because I'm sure I played them correctly. In fact, I knew I played the KT hand wrong. This hand, I'm not sure.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm betting 200 to win 265 that he doesn't have an ace. His bet on the flop tells me that he doesn't have an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) As Irieguy mentioned, You are likely to be called with middle or bottom pairs in 33$ buy-ins.

2) His bet doesn't tell you he doesn't have an ace. He might be trying to build a pot or provoke action.

3) My point is you don't have to make these plays with weak players. You are better off waiting for a better chance. I try to punish the fish by betting hands with 80% winning chances (or more). They WILL call.

4) If these kind of plays work for you, fine. I was only offering friendly advice.

Good luck to you,
S.J.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:51 PM

If he bets 125 chips on the flop, are you folding this hand?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 03-10-2005, 02:18 PM

I do this kind of raise (you don't look like you have it, so I bet you don't) if I have a read that villian isn't allergic to folding and it seems to work often enough to be profitable in the $11s and $22s, but you probably do it a lot more (prob a lot lot more because you probably play more often).

Is that bet clearly working for you?

I've mentioned this before, but this kind of snapping off a weak bet is pretty easy to read and if I see someone doing this I will definately lead into them with a weak bet and then reraise. I think a weak bet is more enticing to an aggressive player than a check.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

what if he bet's ~1/2pot on the flop (ie: 100chips).

and what if he checked on the flop?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that bet clearly working for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't do it that often, so my sample size is way too small to answer this. There's just not that much chance to do this is SnG. The pot has to be big, but not so big as to make it impossible to raise less than all in.

I will do it more in a side game. My normal tournament game is pretty boring.

It is much more common to be on the other side. ie. You have KK-JJ and an ace flops. I will almost always bet out 2/3-3/4 pot on the flop anyway. There is a good chance that a pocket pair called your pre-flop raise, and doesn't like the Ace either.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:48 PM

I like it a lot more if the board is two flush, although the 10-9 is often drawy (is that a word?) enough that top pair may feel obligated to bet closer to the pot.

EDIT: Also, I think you do a great job here in determining what the Villain has, but perhaps not so great a job disguising your own holding. After your raise what does villain put you on? (if he even thinks about it) If you did have the ace and put villain squarely on a lower PP would you raise here or try to milk him for more on the turn? Regardless of what you would do, what would the typical opponent do (from Villain's perspective, assuming he has no reads on you)

Anyway, well played. I just think that your raise defines your hand more than Villain's flop lead (which could have been a big ace trying to extract the max from a weaker ace and not fearing the potential OESD)
Old 03-10-2005, 02:49 PM

fold preflop camp

80 raises w/ 800 chip count.... level 1.

indicative of. AA KK QQ possibly JJ, AK.

you're ahead of one of these and slightly behind the other. Until the Ace flop

pass on this preflop and wait for a situation where you're doing the raising as opposed to the calling.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what if he bet's ~1/2pot on the flop (ie: 100chips).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold. I'd still suspect weakness, but I wouldn't be quite as sure. More importantly, I'd probably have to raise to 250-300 to win 285. That's pretty expensive.

[ QUOTE ]
and what if he checked on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably fire out 150. I'd be a bit concerned that he's checkraising with AK, but I think betting 150 to win 185 is worth it. I doubt he's slowplaying 50% of the time he checks here.