Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

View Poll Results: Will you play there?
Yes 7 23.33%
No 23 76.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2004, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Suited Aces in 6-max

At full tables in large multiway pots A6s might be the worst, but that's because a pair of 6's is very unlikely to win. At a SH table a flopped pair of 6's can actually have a decent chance, a much much better chance than a flopped pair of 2's or 3's.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:40 AM

Highcard strength is the most important in SH being suited or connected makes little difference to the hand value.

A6s is much better than A5s for that reason.

Same reason why QTo is better than JTs.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:20 AM

Maybe I'm just insisting on some stupid language point here, but A6s can't be much better than A5s. We're talking about pennies. I think to say something is much better you have to be able to easily identify situations where playing one but not the other is correct.

-Michael
Old 12-07-2004, 04:36 AM

Ok then remove the much, so its just better.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:40 AM

In fact A6 is not much better it is not even better than A5, as pointed out earlier in the thread and discussed in HFAP (?) A5 is ahead of A6.
Poor example, true for just about every other example like this though.

Peter Rus has also posted some figures regarding high card strength (hands like K7o compared to T9s etc.) though not specifically addressing this issue. I think Peter had some rough formula for calculating the equivalent value based on kicker, like J9 is as good as Q7 etc.

Suitedness and connectedness do add value to hands, even SH, I only have to look through my PT database to see that. It is frequently overestimated, particularly by the bad players.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:07 AM

How can A5s be better than A6s in shorthand?

Your straight possibility sucks, you will rarely have odds to chase your gutshot.

If you had 4-5 people seeing the flop then yeah A5s is marginally better, this is shorthand though and many pots are HU after the flop.

Suitedness and connectedness value increases when there are more players in the pot.

Many people overvalue these hands and use them to steal the blinds. Axs is great for steals but hands like 98s are trash.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your straight possibility sucks, you will rarely have odds to chase your gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are often going to do it anyway, either by betting, checking behind or whatever.

[ QUOTE ]
Suitedness and connectedness value increases when there are more players in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesnt mean that it doesnt increase value when its HU. You get more semibluffing opportunities and can see more cards more often and might win otherway than hitting the draw.

[ QUOTE ]
Axs is great for steals but hands like 98s are trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what ?
Old 12-07-2004, 08:11 AM

Much better than Poker Tracker for this purpose -- check out the stats at http://www.pokerroom.com/main/page/g...stats/expValue
Old 12-07-2004, 08:56 AM

Difference between 5 and 6 kicker is overvalued by 1 additional straight. Trash kickers often don't play at all and leading to split. A4 compared to A6 has a bit more difference and thats why A6 is better.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:04 AM

I don't play A6s- in UTG, but i play A4s in UTG+1. All for a raise of course. It's also known that majority of the time you will face 2 callers rather than 0 or 1 when you raise UTG and UTG+1 in SH game, so your suitedness and straight abilities means more in earlier positions than in later position where majority of the time you will face 1 caller rather than 2 or 0.