Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-27-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Re: The Prisoner\'s Dilemma and Religion

I respect your point of view, and you made a very lucid point. But honestly, in spite of what you already believe, would it be possible for something to happen (as improbable as it may seem) to change your mind? In my example of Jesus feeding the multitudes, were you to experience such a thing, what would you think? If you watched a man turn water into wine, what would you think? I know that non-religious people dismiss these stories as fairy-tales, but if they did in fact happen, you could see how people's belief in the Christian God has survived for so long.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:47 PM

Many people believe in miracles. Usually they're either a product of ignorance, trickery, or willful self-delusion (or some combination of those). It's not uncommon when a meteorite is visible for new stations to get reports from people reporting they saw head peering out of the portholes of the spaceships. Once Columbus knew an eclipse was coming and told the Indians if they didn't do what he wanted them to he'd make the sun disappear. Lo and behold, he was true to his word. What did they think?

No matter what I would experience, no matter how inexplicable, there is no way I would think a man who lived and died 2,000 years ago had anything to do with it.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:01 PM

OK, but let me put it another way because I think you missed my point. I have never experienced a miracle either. I wasn't asking if you would credit the unexplainable to Jesus. I was asking if, 2000 years ago, you saw Jesus perform the miracles that are in the Bible, would you believe then?
Old 08-29-2004, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you watched a man turn water into wine, what would you think? I know that non-religious people dismiss these stories as fairy-tales, but if they did in fact happen, you could see how people's belief in the Christian God has survived for so long

[/ QUOTE ]
two disclaimers:
1. I am Catholic
2. I went to Catholic school from 4th grade through HS.

I have a hard time believing a lot of things in the bible. For me, I think a lot of it is exagerations and propoganda. Do you really think Jesus turned wine in to water? If you do your a fool, but it is possible he did something else like povide a lot of wine for a wedding party. A lot of the stuff in the bible was written for a specific reason, and a lot of it is not accurate.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think Jesus turned wine in to water? If you do your a fool

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe that Jesus is the son of God, and that God created the Universe and everything in it, I don't think it takes too much faith -- or logic -- to conclude that a simple transformation is likewise possible. If you believe in the first premise, that is...

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-01-2004, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you watched a man turn water into wine, what would you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cheesy parlor-trick stuff. Let him reassemble the World Trade Towers, with all the people still alive inside, and then we'll talk.

-- M. Ruff
Old 09-07-2004, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's cheesy parlor-trick stuff. Let him reassemble the World Trade Towers, with all the people still alive inside, and then we'll talk.

-- M. Ruff

[/ QUOTE ]

That day will come. I don't know about the towers but EVERY life lost will be restored.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Two smart but selfish brothers get arrested the day after robbing a seven eleven. They are about to be questioned in seperate cells and are given alternatives along the lines of the Prisoner's Dilemma. Right before their questioning their father visits them both in their respective cells and tells them that if they talk they will have hell to pay when they get out plus will be cut out of the will. Because of that they both choose the normally suboptimal strategy, and are better off because of the fear of their father.

Some smart guy realized all this a few thousand years ago and took a vacation up a mountain.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I want to know is where these guys found a 7-11 to rob thousands of years ago.

-- M. Ruff
Old 08-26-2004, 02:29 PM

So, let me see... Christianity makes people happy by inducing them to treat each other better, because much of life is non-zero-sum. I don't think anyone ever thought of that before!

The fun thing about stories like this is that they prove very little but insinuate much more.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Christianity makes people happy by inducing them to treat each other better

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy? Really? Inducing them how?