Default Re: AL postseason awards

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mariano's year isn't that good for a closer

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your original statement.

[/ QUOTE ]Rivera's season just is not THAT great for a closer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your cover my ass revision. Why not stick with your original statement?

[/ QUOTE ]

good, great, what the [censored]. I meant the same damn thing.

You're being an ass. You were wrong and you know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry my original post offended you. In retrospect it could be construed as insulting. I should have worded it differently and said that your statement wasn't credible instead of saying you lost all credibilty.

So yes in that respect I was wrong and I acknowlege that, but I still think your statement was wrong. Hope there are no lingering hard feelings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. As I said before, I overreacted. I can see how my statement could be considered wrong. It was a poor choice of words in retrospect.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 PM

it was great until that terrible week in august. remember he was sub .8...man it could've been sweet if he held up for a month and a half more...
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was great until that terrible week in august. remember he was sub .8...man it could've been sweet if he held up for a month and a half more...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, before that time in august it was truly great.

its not that hes having a bad season, hes having a really good one and is the best closer is baseball right now, but its not cy young worthy and its not one of the all time best closer seasons.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:04 PM

the truth is Vlad is the real MVP -- in the context he is most valuable to his team.

Take Ortiz off the Sox, they have Manny truckin along

Take A-Rod off the Yanks, they have Sheff, Matsui, Jeter etc.

Take Vlad off of Anaheim their offense is putrid. Who would of thought this team's pitching is what would be keeping them in the postseason hunt. Lackey has been a gift from god, so has Colon this year. Santana is doing well also. Vlad has outperformed and shown up half of the Angels team.

Keep in mind, I am an Angels fan, but in the context of most valuable to his or team, Vlad would win this by a landslide.

That being said, A-Rod wins the MVP award.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the truth is Vlad is the real MVP -- in the context he is most valuable to his team.

Take Vlad off of Anaheim their offense is putrid. Who would of thought this team's pitching is what would be keeping them in the postseason hunt. Lackey has been a gift from god, so has Colon this year. Santana is doing well also. Vlad has outperformed and shown up half of the Angels team.

Keep in mind, I am an Angels fan, but in the context of most valuable to his or team, Vlad would win this by a landslide.

[/ QUOTE ]

take arod and his 320 avg, 420 obp, 40 hr, and 110 rbi off the yankees and they go from being a marginal wild card leader to pretty much out of the picture. vlad is awesome, but just not quite as good.

if the yankees were winning the east by their usual 10 games and the angels were in the situation they are in this season, I think you would be right. but this season the difference between the yankees with arod and without is huge.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

take arod and his 320 avg, 420 obp, 40 hr, and 110 rbi off the yankees and they go from being a marginal wild card leader to pretty much out of the picture. vlad is awesome, but just not quite as good.

if the yankees were winning the east by their usual 10 games and the angels were in the situation they are in this season, I think you would be right. but this season the difference between the yankees with arod and without is huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

HRs, RBIS, and AVG don't mean jack([img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) . OPS is what matters most of the tmie and it takes HRs-well, extra base hits by virtue of including the slugging percentage)- OBP, and AVG(indirectly) into account.

RBIs matter about as little as wins do. If you have guys getting on base in front of you, you're going to have more RBIs than someone like Derrek Lee who i'm pretty sure is still leading the NL in OPS. Derrek Lee can't seem to get to 100 RBI, but it's not his fault.

A-Rod should be the MVP because he is the best offensive player. Period. Not because he has the highest average or a lot of RBIs.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:59 PM

look at the context. the person i was responding to was talking about how valuable vlad was to the angels. since vlad has lesser stats than arod, he was making an argument that vlad meant more to the angels, not that he was statistically superior. i brought up hr and rbis because along that line of discussing the mvp award, those stats are considered important.

i know rbis are situation specific and all that. i know how derrek lee doesnt have 100 rbis and its not his fault.

if you look at any of my other posts earlier in the thread the first thing i point to is arods 1.0+ ops, and not his rbi count. context is important...
Old 09-08-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what categories does ortiz lead arod in? and arod plays great defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

weight.

facial hair.

number of times he sat in the dugout on defense.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:29 AM

I am not talking about just statistics. I am talking psychologically as well. If Vlad went down with a knee injury for 2-4 months that team would of been devastated.

There is more of a supporting cast everywhere else. Some intangibles dont include statistics, I just feel this is an example of that.

Your stats support your arguement and I do agree A-Rod will win. I just dont think stats can justify a team "feeling" thats all.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:04 AM

The Angels went 10-8 when Vlad was on the DL earlier this season.