Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 07-29-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Taco Bell

[ QUOTE ]
Today I had a cheesy gordita crunch, a beef and potato burrito, a soft taco and a drink for $5.55.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is my exact 3-item order except I get the burrito with bean instead of potato. You have awesome taste.

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder why they're closing.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many $.59 tacos do you think it takes to make rent in NYC?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
There used to be one in my town, but now I have to go on a long trip (like 20 minutes) to get Taco Bell
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man. they closed the one across the street from me, and according the website..they closed the one across town for me.

Looks like no Taco Bell until El-D takes me out to lunch next time he's in manhattan.

The deal was Taco Bell for Massa right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wondered the same thing. In NYC; theres so few of them, but they never seem to last. (Except one very close to NYU)

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably because their menu is so ridiculously cheap, and storefronts in NYC are so ridiculously expensive.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They jack up the prices. Even in LI Taco bell is not "cheap".

You people in the sticks really have it made.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Taco Bell is simultaneously complete crap and awesome. However, you kids all missed the glory days of Taco Bell. None of this newfangled gimmicky stuff compares to the delight that was Cinnamon Crispas and the pure joy that was the Cheesarito. The Cheesarito only survived on the menu for a short period, but for a long time, diehard Taco Bell employees would still hook you up with them. I imagine now you'd just get a blank stare if you asked for one, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me try out a theory based on this post. I think everyone somewhat outgrows Tbell eventually because their own personal Tbell "glory days" have passed them by. For me, Taco Bell began to peak around the time of the introduction of the Chalupa, crested with that 2-lb., 1320-calorie wet dream known as the Mucho Grande Nachos, and started down the backside with the Grilled Stuft. Most of the most recent new menu items have been shite compared to what I "grew up on". For example, this new hexagonal tortilla-wrapped-around-a-tostada thing isn't fooling me at all. It's nothing special--there's no new ingredients or even evolution in terms of combining different ingredients. In fact it has seroius structural problems in that it's difficult to get the hot sauce inside of it without tearing it apart.

Reading ElD's post got me thinking that maybe everyone enjoys the first, or near-first TBell they've ever had the best, and over time as the menu changes TBell gradually falls out of favor (but never completely).

I imagine I'm about 7-8 years younger than ElD. I bet many folks 7-8 years younger than me (starting college) think this hexagonal concoction is god's gift to fast food.

Still, TBell in its prime set the bar way to high to ever be considered less than the best fast food restaurant by me.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, Taco Bell is not even in the same league as Chick-Fil-A, the best fast food place.

But back to the main point. While your reasoning seems sound, it's simply wrong. I am perfectly able to objectively compare food quality then and now. The fact of the matter is that due to increased pressure on profit margins, efficiency, etc. in the fast food industry, the food has just plain continued to go downhill at Taco Bell. At the most fundamental level, the quality of the cheese is so far below what it once was that there's really no comparison when it comes to the food.

Here's why Taco Bell is so much worse than it used to be:

Taco Bell Executive 1: Man, this thinly shredded real cheese is delicious.
TBE 2: It's damn expensive, though.
TBE 1: Makes tasty simple Mexican fast-food, though!
TBE 2: Check out this crap-ass low grade cheese w/ all sorts of fillers and byproducts.
TBE 1: Wow, tastes like crap!
TBE 2: Hmmm, you're right. What else is cheap?
TBE 1: Hmmm, tortilas, they are almost free.
TBE 2: OK, how about this, we use the crap cheese, then wrap the stuff in an extra tortilla and fry it up!
TBE 1: Are kids stupid enough to go for that?
TBE 2: Yes, I think they are.
TBE 1: OK, let's increase the prices!
TBE 2: YES!
TBE 1: YES!
TBE 2: YES! HAHHAHAHAHA!
TBE 1: HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what we've been trying to tell you, Matty. That really hurt to say, didn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what we've been trying to tell you, Matty. That really hurt to say, didn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this thread really spoke to me. I just quit my job. Do you have a guest room?
Old 07-29-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that were the reason, the nine billion McDonald's, slice places, cheap-ass Indian/Chinese/falafel, etc. that blanket NYC couldn't stay in business.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this thread really spoke to me. I just quit my job. Do you have a guest room?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. Come down to Miami. Cost of living is so much lower. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If that were the reason, the nine billion McDonald's, slice places, cheap-ass Indian/Chinese/falafel, etc. that blanket NYC couldn't stay in business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well aside from McDonalds, for those other places it helps that the owner and his family, and brother's family, and his cousin's family, etc. sleep on the floor of the kitchen.

Seriously though, are those other places as cheap as taco bell?