Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 08-19-2004, 02:47 AM

Default Re: XP SP2 Be careful !!

The world ain't perfect and never will be.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:35 AM

Default Re: XP SP2 Be careful !!

here is a list of all the programs that need adjustment after installing SP2:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

(no poker programs on there).
Old 08-19-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Question

I had it set to notify me but dont download.

Got the update popup saying it was aavailable and asked me what i wanted to do. I clicked download. It then disappeared and i assumed was just downloading in the background and eventually would ask me to install it. However, the computer has been on all day and it still hasnt asked me to install it so i assume its not running on my computer yet....but under my add/remove programs list i have these:

Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) followed by a bunch of letters

Does this mean i somehow installed it without hitting install. Also i havent noticed any ill effects. The only thing i really wanted to do was go shutdown the new firewall you all mention and just run my familiar zonealarm.

Any idea how to know for sure if its installed, and also what are some instructions to find the firewall. Someone earlier mentioned through the security panel, but i have no idea where that is.

Thanks

rJ
Old 08-19-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Question

To check if you installed SP2, go to control panel /system

read under system if SP2 is installed

To get to the firewall area try this below and see if it gives you the option to disable it.

Good luck

JAque

To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall
Open Network Connections
Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:
To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.
To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.
Notes

To open Network Connections, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
You must be logged on as a computer administrator to complete this procedure.
If you clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box, the firewall on your computer is disabled, and your network is vulnerable to intrusions.
You should not enable Internet Connection Firewall on virtual private networking (VPN) connections or on client computers because ICF will interfere with file and printer sharing.
ICF cannot be enabled on the private connections of the Internet Connection Sharing host computer.
Internet Connection Sharing, Internet Connection Firewall, Discovery and Control, and Network Bridge are not available on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:06 PM

i think if you went to the windows update page it would tell you if it was installed or not

if not, it will, soon, presumably
Old 08-20-2004, 02:26 AM

I've had the same experience. When set to "notify me", XP will always first ask to download, then ask again to install.

I downloaded yesterday, but XP never asked me about installing. Right click on "My Computer" still only shows SP1.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:32 AM

Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) followed by a bunch of letters

No, that's a security hotfix you installed previously. The SP2 in parentheses indicates that it was scheduled for packaging into SP2 when it was released.

In addition, the fact that you're still seeing the hotfixes in your Add/Remove Programs menu proves that you have not installed SP2 yet.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:37 AM

Default MPORTANT IF TURNED AUTOMATIC UPDATE OFF!!

I found out that SP2 can only be installed if you have automatic updates checked (on). Therefore, you need to turn that on and wait for windows to download it again. MS says you will be able to do it manually in the next few .... days?? weeks??

JAque
Old 08-20-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Re: MPORTANT IF TURNED AUTOMATIC UPDATE OFF!!

I found out that SP2 can only be installed if you have automatic updates checked (on). Therefore, you need to turn that on and wait for windows to download it again. MS says you will be able to do it manually in the next few .... days?? weeks??

i did the same thing as rusty jedi. a few days ago i changed the preference to "only notify me if available"

then last 3 days i get the pop-up that says "ready to be downloaded". i read your post, and changed my settings to what i had before (download auto, install when you tell it)

when i accepted these settings, the window icon disappeared that was telling me there was an update available for downloading. are you saying that i should wait a few days for it to come through again? will it come through again so i can download it? or should i just go to ms site and do the DL?

ty

Old 08-20-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: MPORTANT IF TURNED AUTOMATIC UPDATE OFF!!

Yes, I hope it will check for updates in the background and it should download the update (I think it will notify you while installing). FYI.. you can set the time and how often will check for updates control panel/update icon.

Worst scenario, you have to wait until you manually can install it from the web site. I couldn't find when this will be available.

By the way, gals and guys, I am not even a programmer but I do work with a lot a of high end applications on my job. I am sure some of you are Windows programmers and may have more information on this.

I am still waiting to install it until I check the newsgroups and forums for any incompatability issues with my software at home.

JAque