Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 01-27-2004, 09:02 PM

Default tough river decision part 1

20-40 at the bike. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the small blind. 5 limpers to me, I complete, BB checks.

Flop:A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, UTG checks, MP bets, a couple fold to me and I check raise. UTG calls two cold and MP calls. UTG is weak and passive. Middle position plays too many hands and is a bit on the aggresive side. She calls also.

Turn:4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, and both call.

River: King [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, UTG bets, middle position calls, and I hate it.

Is the pot too big to save 40 bucks?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:29 PM

Default Re: tough river decision part 1

I don't get the river check. Are you afraid of QJ? I would bet the river in this situation.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:39 PM

You should have had an easy river decision: Bet.

Having checked, the pot is too big for you to fold. UTG has shown no strength at any point in the hand except on the river but even he probably does not require two pairs to bet after you have checked. He could be betting a weaker ace. While he probably has you beat (based on your description of him), you can't fold.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you afraid of QJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. 3,5...
Old 01-27-2004, 10:52 PM

I'd bet the river.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the pot too big to save 40 bucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
1) You look like you missed your flush draw, encouraging a bet from a weaker ace.
2) Nobody has Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] because you've got the J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in your hand.
3) If someone has AK, AT, or AQ I don't see getting around paying them off here. But even so, the earlier action doesn't look like either of these hands are out there.
4) If some random two pair is shown like K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], then you can pat yourself on the back for not getting yourself checkraised on the river.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:11 AM

One thing you have to take into consideration is your table image, people are going to constantly take shots at you because you play a little soft. (no offense, you can really profit from people taking shots at you as well). what hand can you put the utg on, QJ of diamonds? what other hand beats you that gave no action. Obviously you don't have to worry about the mp player you know you have her beat if she didn't give you any action. So your only decision is what does utg have. If he/she only bets the nuts you can fold, but you have to pay off sometimes or you will get run over, especially if you keep increasing the limits. I havn't read the other posts, but you probably lost, but you should call that one everytime unless the utg is so bad that they are only able to bet the nuts. Those are my favorite players!
Old 01-28-2004, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what hand can you put the utg on, QJ of diamonds?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be tough since our hero has the J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in his hand.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:20 AM

Default results

If I had it to do over again, I would probably bet and fold to a raise, since even though its pretty obvious I'm beat, I have to call because I was getting over 10:1, and there is a good chance worse hands will call me if I am ahead, especially MP.

That being said, I didnt bet because UTG was sitting two seats to my left and he almost came out of his chair when the king hit. So, I checked, he bet, MP called, and I reluctantly overcalled, and he flipped over K 10 for two pair.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:28 AM

Hey Ben. I do find quite a lot of players taking shots at me in the 25-50 game, because I am willing to lay big hands down, and occationally I make the huge mistake of exposing my cards, which I really need to stop. I dont think it hurts me too much in that game because, a lot of the time players are trying to make moves in situations where Im commited to a showdown, particually if its one the wild ones. However I thought about the point you made, and it is possible I should be calling down a few more hands just to send the message that it will be tough to run me off the winner. Thanks for the response.