Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-20-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Live mutlis, poor players, deviation, taking chances

[ QUOTE ]

EXAMPLE (b4 my big realization): One hand I raised the whole table in postion with AKo. It was a good raise to let people know I had a good hand. I did it a little expressively tossing my chips in. This guy in the SB get this "aha!" face like he realized the mystery of the universe and pushes all his chips in on a whim. Naturally my expressivness gave him an excuse to push. He wasn't short stacked so his push made no sense to me, it was 3x my raise. I thought he had a big pair like AA or KK and was prepared to fold. I took a read on him and figured out with a bit of table talk he had the middle pair. Pot was right I called (1 for 2.5 to call), he flops over 77. He wins the pot crippling me and laughs saying he already had a made hand and I was basically stupid to call because he knew I had 2 overs. My playfulness gave this guy a reason to push after I raised 5 limpers. I wouldnt take a chance with 88 after 5 limpers and a raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was just bad play by you and good play by your opponent. You made the raise with a flourish. This was a strong means weak tell.He correctly read that you were trying to take down the pot with a relatively weak holding, probably AK/AQ. He figures he is ahead plus pot odds and you may fold to the limpraise. If you had given no indication you didn't want a call, he probably would have been afraid you had JJ-AA and folded his 77.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:06 PM

Just in general you shouldn't consciously do anything differently when raising with AK as opposed to AA. Even if your opponents suck at reading people, still why give them any kind of info at all? "expressively" raising as opposed to just raising is retarded.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 AM

Yup. Lately I've been rereading Mike Caro's book. Players are just looking for any excuse to call. He says, and I agree, that if you want a call behave in the normal quite manner you always should and then do a slight movement after maybe a question is asked. For example fold your arms or respond with an "maybe" and shrug your shoulders. Something very subtle and natural.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:22 PM

I agree I gave him a reason to make his play. Too many other reasons made his play wrong in my opinion: 1:1.5 odds for me to call, I would still have 1500 chips left, He was all in, he had 3500 chips in a 50/100 BB (no reason to gamble here), my tight image, he had the lowest hand I would make this play with from my postiion vs 5 limpers.

Anyways no big deal. Maybe you right.

I learned.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree I gave him a reason to make his play. Too many other reasons made his play wrong in my opinion: 1:1.5 odds for me to call, I would still have 1500 chips left, He was all in, he had 3500 chips in a 50/100 BB (no reason to gamble here), my tight image, he had the lowest hand I would make this play with from my postiion vs 5 limpers.

Anyways no big deal. Maybe you right.

I learned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like his play. He is 57-43 against AK or AQ and he has lots of pot odds and folding equity. I think it is a nice play exploiting a tell.