Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-13-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Stupid Laws

[ QUOTE ]
You should obey even stupid laws, it's all society asks in return for keeping you safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you feel about marijuana laws? According to recent TV commercials, marijuana laws keep me from getting mauled by vicious guard dogs and sticking my fist in my mouth.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:42 PM

TheWill: That's the perfect example of a society that's way over-litigious, one stupid law to cover another one. You shouldn't have to pay for someone else's stupidity, cap the expenses.

henrik: Not sure if you're joking or not, but I don't want society to save me from myself, that's the point.

hmk: Sure you're joking [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I regard marijuana laws exactly the same way. I don't smoke weed, but if I did it'd be my personal choice and I don't need protected from myself. And if I did do something harmful to others as a result, there are already laws against that.

I should also say for the record that I do normally wear my seatbelt, I just forgot today, think I'd taken it off to rummage around looking for something. I wear my seatbelt because I don't want to die in a car wreck, that's the choice I make - I shouldn't have to wear it to avoid getting fined.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't need protected from myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do... definitely. BTW, get yourself to New Hampshire, no seatbelt laws for those who are of age, no helmet laws and, since I'm going on, no state income or sales tax. Just don't get into an accident.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't need protected from myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do... definitely. BTW, get yourself to New Hampshire, no seatbelt laws for those who are of age, no helmet laws and, since I'm going on, no state income or sales tax. Just don't get into an accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a sweet deal except for the fact that you have to live in New Hampshire :-P