Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-04-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: hand vs. Angelina

f'real
Old 11-04-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
so i took the easy way out and checked.

angelina showed Kc6c for a pair of 6s on the turn and i take it down w/ a pair of 7s.

afterwards though i thought that i might fold out a better pair of 7s w/ a draw of somekind in addition to the 9. so im not betting to get a 9 to fold so much as a hands like a flush draw + hand that may contain a 7.

just somehting to think about that nobody mentioned.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need to bet. Giving free showdowns in spots like this is going to ensure that Angelina continues to take shots at you in these headsup situations.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty confused by angelina's flop call. ...

[/ QUOTE ]
angelina is capable of playing back very very light, as seen here by his flop call w/ K6cc...ngelina and i will continue to play together i would assume and playing HU in or out of position makes me think more about a hand and the general texture of the entire hand and those that preceeded it and not just what is happeneing at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think you need to bet the turn unimproved more often as an overall strategy against Angelina or do you think Angelina will often call you down with K-high in these situations?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 PM

Default See the other bio\'s

Read the other bio's they're friggin hysterical.

Professional sheepherders and license plate makers...

Tim [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so i took the easy way out and checked.

angelina showed Kc6c for a pair of 6s on the turn and i take it down w/ a pair of 7s.

afterwards though i thought that i might fold out a better pair of 7s w/ a draw of somekind in addition to the 9. so im not betting to get a 9 to fold so much as a hands like a flush draw + hand that may contain a 7.

just somehting to think about that nobody mentioned.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need to bet. Giving free showdowns in spots like this is going to ensure that Angelina continues to take shots at you in these headsup situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

clark, ive been in spots where i bet this river as well. angelina will continue to take shots at me irrespective of this particular street's action. i agree with your point but vastly discount its real affect.

Barron
Old 11-04-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i'd check because i would hate to be check raised here

[/ QUOTE ]
this is a stupid reason..
getting checkraised here is ok because youll NEVER have the best hand, and you wont have to show down your ugly hand that you were pounding with.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much short-handed poker have you played with good players? I haven't played a lot, but in my short experience, river bluffs are not unusual.

[/ QUOTE ]plenty... a river CR here is never a bluff. no way.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i'd check because i would hate to be check raised here

[/ QUOTE ]
this is a stupid reason..
getting checkraised here is ok because youll NEVER have the best hand, and you wont have to show down your ugly hand that you were pounding with.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much short-handed poker have you played with good players? I haven't played a lot, but in my short experience, river bluffs are not unusual.

[/ QUOTE ]plenty... a river CR here is never a bluff. no way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey flawless, I have check-raised rivers like this several times in my poker career, especially when playing shorthanded against people who think that no one would ever bluff a river like this.
-James
Old 11-04-2005, 02:45 PM

A checkraise on the river is one thing but a checkraise river bluff is another. In order for the latter to work, one has to be very confident that the other guy will bet the river for him. If that confidence is not there, a bluff bet is the safer course than a river checkraise bluff.

IME, most river checkraise bluffs come to mind after the fact. That is, they happen when player A has given up on a hand because he expects Player B to call if he bluffs. But then he also expects Player B to check if he checks. But when Player B bets instead of chceking, it then dawns on Player A that perhaps Player B may also be weak thereby making Player A think that a river chcekraise bluff might work.

Here, that situation would not arise given the board and previous action thereby making a river checkraise bluff quite risky for Angelina. So, if she did chcekraise DCFIR's river bet, I would be hardpressed to think that she might be bluffing often enough to make my call positive Ev.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:45 PM

i havent seen it, but you may be very good at getting away w/ it... haha.

checkraise bluffing this river would be a pretty ugly play, IMO...
Old 11-04-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hey flawless, I have check-raised rivers like this several times in my poker career, especially when playing shorthanded against people who think that no one would ever bluff a river like this.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I think checkraises in spots like this work better on slightly different boards where it's more clear what you are representing.