...and miles to go before i sleep.

fantastic post, BF.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Harriet Miers Speaks

We are doomed.

natedogg
Old 10-14-2005, 03:22 AM

just out of curiosity, who's your favroite justice, natedogg?

lemme guess... thomas?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:58 AM

I think you are "confusing the facts with the criteria". I know that means nothing. However, said with conviction, it is rarely challenged.

You are missing one important point. This is a woman who said GWB is the smartest person she has ever met. Aren't you expecting too much?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:12 PM

Justice Thomas is the key here - this thing will resolve itself after he finds a pubic hair on Mier's coke can.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it would be politically masterful if they were and that had been their intention all along.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think it would be political stupidity of the highest order. If their party turns on them and defeats her, it would position Bush as a much lamer duck than he already is. Every Republican who thought that Bush still held sway/power would see his failed nomination as evidence that it was time to abandon ship and fend for themselves. Every other personal project of Bush's would be weakened. Any advisor of his who would help torpedo his other projects for this risky gamble would be an idiot in my opinion.

Unless they were secretly working for the Democrats. Now that would be a brilliant undertaking and from the looks of Bush's many recent missteps is looking more plausible by the minute. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 02:42 PM

Bush is like the guy with the deepest stack late in a big buy-in nl tournament who believes in his invulnerability, and who donks off his stack with a quick succession of boneheaded plays, progressing from overweening pride to impotent rage to frustration to desperation.

America needs to be especially careful in guarding the Constitution now. Wounded animals, especially animals on tilt - can be extremely dangerous when cornered.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Is it really a smart move???

I had a long drive this morning and was thinking about the Harriet Miers nomination (on my way to Middle-of-freaking-nowhere, IL.) Could the nomination be a smart political move, with no real down-side for Bush?

Scenario 1: Meirs gets confirmed. Bush wins. He gets a nominee who he can trust, who is a friend, and who holds similar beliefs (presumably) as the President.

Scenario 2: Meirs gets a No vote, now Bush appoints the most conservative person he can finds and re-starts the media campaign about how the liberals aren't letting him exercise his constitutional powers. How they are unfair, etc., etc. Bush wins as he would probably be able to pass through a more conservative nominee because Miers was rejected and the liberals wouldn't be able to politically reject two consecutive supreme court nominees.

I haven't thought it through, but it made sense at 5:30 this morning in the middle of corn-country.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Is it really a smart move???

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I had a long drive this morning and was thinking about the Harriet Miers nomination (on my way to Middle-of-freaking-nowhere, IL.) Could the nomination be a smart political move, with no real down-side for Bush?

Scenario 1: Meirs gets confirmed. Bush wins. He gets a nominee who he can trust, who is a friend, and who holds similar beliefs (presumably) as the President.

Scenario 2: Meirs gets a No vote, now Bush appoints the most conservative person he can finds and re-starts the media campaign about how the liberals aren't letting him exercise his constitutional powers. How they are unfair, etc., etc. Bush wins as he would probably be able to pass through a more conservative nominee because Miers was rejected and the liberals wouldn't be able to politically reject two consecutive supreme court nominees.

I haven't thought it through, but it made sense at 5:30 this morning in the middle of corn-country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elwood,

Scary as the thought may be, I had almost the exact same train of thought. It basically started with me thinking "What is the best thing I can say about Harriet Miers as a SCOTUS nominee". But , since I am a genius, you clearly must be too, and thus we are right. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Is it really a smart move???

Qualifications, Schmalifications.

It's Roe v. Wade or bust. Everything else is irrelavent.