Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-22-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: I told my boss off today and I quit my job!!! I need Advice.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know who you are or how old you are, but I don't appreciate you telling me my comment is insanely immature. Plenty of things can be justified by saying you were doing your job or following orders or (fill blank), the point is if something makes you feel uncomfortable or bad, you don't have to do it. It is a choice, no more no less, you can say okay I'll do it, and let little Hitlers walk all over you, or you can tell them to [censored] off and do their own dirty work. It was just a point of view and a sensible one at that.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]
OP was asked to do something that is perfectly reasonable and acceptable in the scope of his job. He's immature or rather too immature to hold a job where supervision is a duty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have already cleaned out one entire office for my boss, because he did not have the balls to do it, or to tell me what I was about to do, when I had to drive there.

So you would think it was perfectly reasonable for me to call you in to a disiplinary meeting, and ask you to tell me your side of what happened, and listen to you and who ever else you would like to have present on your behalf. Then instead of weighing and taking into account what you had said, I just look down my list and see what your predetermined punishment is?

Sound reasonable right?

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 01:25 PM

Was it in your job description, when you agreed to take the job, that you would have to fire people? If so, you are being very immature. It sucks that he made you sit and talk with hte people you had to fire to hear their side, but Im sure it makes it easier on them to vent/tell thier side, but its your job, you should do what you agreed to do at the onset of your employment (if it was included in your job desc).
Old 09-22-2005, 01:43 PM

Exactly, working for people like that is not good. Mature is walking out.

Mack
Old 09-22-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know who you are or how old you are, but I don't appreciate you telling me my comment is insanely immature. Plenty of things can be justified by saying you were doing your job or following orders or (fill blank), the point is if something makes you feel uncomfortable or bad, you don't have to do it. It is a choice, no more no less, you can say okay I'll do it, and let little Hitlers walk all over you, or you can tell them to [censored] off and do their own dirty work. It was just a point of view and a sensible one at that.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]
OP was asked to do something that is perfectly reasonable and acceptable in the scope of his job. He's immature or rather too immature to hold a job where supervision is a duty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have already cleaned out one entire office for my boss, because he did not have the balls to do it

[/ QUOTE ]

Matty's right. Until you realize that doing your job (be it poker or whatever you just quit doing) isn't about "having balls" you're not mature enough to have one. I'd like to reiterate my point that you REALLY shouldn't consider being a professional poker player if you think functions of your job should be correlated to your balls.

EDIT: btw, this is an irrelevant question:
[ QUOTE ]
So you would think it was perfectly reasonable for me to call you in to a disiplinary meeting, and ask you to tell me your side of what happened, and listen to you and who ever else you would like to have present on your behalf. Then instead of weighing and taking into account what you had said, I just look down my list and see what your predetermined punishment is?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2005, 07:02 PM

This reminds me of a Cheers episode.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:16 PM

Yeah, only stupider.

So someone behaved rashly, big [censored] deal. I'm glad our resident pyschiatroots can infer so much about someone's character.

Sometimes walking out just feels right, and if you are a young guy like the OP, you probably won't suffer any major long-term consequences if you don't compound an admirable but poorly conceived response with additional errors.

I think many of the people taking this opportunity for pissant little lectures are

A) Full of it.
B) Young and self-righteous (much like the OP!)
C) Enjoying hating on a guy because he is Living, Laughing, Learning, [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Talk2BigSteve.

Of these, only the third is remotely respectable or appropriate.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are you talking about? How is not quitting your job when your boss tells you to do something "selling out"? This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read that was attempting to be reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I just think you are totally wrong, you are being paid to destroy peoples lives (even if temporarily), if the boss guy helped you it would be much better, so they have to be laid off? the least he can do is help you. The world is full of people who make decisions like that, then get someone else who gets paid less to do all the hard work. I would tell him to poke it in the hole, I don't need that kind of [censored], money isn't important enough.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Evan.
You made an insanely immature statement.
Doing your job is not selling out.
If your job is such that you have subordinates under you, you will have to sometimes do things that you do not personally agree with, but that is in the best interest of your company.

When I was involved in my first termination, we fired a single mother who had no savings, and as a result of losing her job, he lost her apartment and had to move back in with her parents.

Did I feel bad? Of course. But it's my job. I'm not gonna stress it to the point where I would even consider leaving my job over it.

Life sucks sometimes, you just have to grow the [censored] up and deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Talk about being morally evasive.

I think you've defined selling out pretty well, even though you came up with the decidedly beside the point and lame justification of saying it's in the company's best interests.

Well OF COURSE IT IS, or at least in the best interest of the guy giving the orders at the time.

That's no moral justification. People get hanged after wars for that kind of justification all the time.

Seriously, if it's not selling out because someone told you to do it, then there's no such thing as selling out at all.

Which I think was your point, unintended though it was.

I could actually go with that, if it were directly stated as worthwhile in itself or self-evident. But trying to justify selling out by saying it's not selling out? Doesn't work.

I'd much rather be fired by someone in a straightforward way than with some kind of fake rationalization, even if the reason was just becuase he hated my guts. That can happen in life; I can respect that. It's the bullsh*t surrounding it that's hard to swallow and really stinks up the place.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:59 PM

Yea!!! [censored] YEA!!!!! I'm not signing a god damned contract!!! Let's just do odd jobs in Berkeley 4 LIFE!! [censored] yea dude, we won't sell out...we can be indy FOREVER!!!!111!!!eleven!!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It's funny how the people swinging axes around in the corporate world are always trying to make themselves look like a victim.

You've got a car, maybe a nice house, a cute girlfriend who likes to spend your money. I can dig it. A situation comes up where you have to either be a prick or risk losing that. I can dig it, whether I approve or not.

But the "I've got no choice, I'm a victim just like you!" play really sucks, and piles insult on top of injury.

If you want to take an action that is questionable or even indefensible, people have been doing it since time began. There may be a kind of cowardice in it, but a bigger cowardice is lying to yourself about it and then trying to make the other poor dumb sap believe that YOU are the one who is the victim of your own consciously chosen act.

Man up and own up to your own crap. Otherwise you just look even slimier. And if you don't want the consequences of your own crap, do something different instead of trying to hide behind complete lameness and making everyone want to puke.

As you can tell, I've seen a cubic fukton of slimy corporate bullshit in my time.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Seriously....

Steve, you've always struck me as a great guy, with a level head on your shoulders. You've just quit a job you must not have liked very much, you're $83,000 in the black, and from what I understand, you really have no responsibilities except to your self.

You can do whatever the hell you want to do. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Invest half of what you've got, move up in limits and start 4-tabling 3-6 and taking stabs at bigger games until you're comfortable at the limits. keep meticulous notes (Pokertracker, duh) If you're really doing as well as you say you are, I have no doubt you'll keep winning.

good luck!