Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-22-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: $33 - blind v blind 2nd hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like calling for information here. This looks like a WAWB spot, so getting to showdown as cheaply as possible looks good to me. If he makes another good sized bet on the turn, then you can re-evaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know you get information when you call!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain raised preflop. He will almost certainly bet any flop. Calling the flop is a good way to see if he really likes his hand and it's a cheap way. If he bets the turn again then we can re-evaluate. That's all I meant by calling for information.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, so reevaluate... assume he bets turn t150 or so... now what's your line?

[/ QUOTE ]

On this turn? Push.
On any other turn with a diamond? Push.
On a turn with an A? Push.
On any other turn where I completely whiffed? I'd probably fold this early in the tournament. That's probably too weak, but top pair T kicker isn't so great that I'm willing to go to the felt with it.

I really think calling the flop and seeing the turn is just as good as raising, from an information gathering perspective. But it's much cheaper and much safer. Say he pushes over the top of your flop raise. So now there is ~1050 in the pot and you have to call ~450. That's a tough decision. If you just call and he comes out strong again on the turn, you've gained the same amount of information as raising the flop would get you, but it comes much cheaper.

Is this faulty thinking? I'm willing to be persuaded.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:30 PM

calling is safe and cheap, I agree. But many people c-bet flop-river unimproved... so I am not sure that you're getting any valuable info by checking flop. It is not necessarily cheap if you keep calling. If you push turn (not this turn)... and he calls you're most likely beat... I don't know. Regardless, turn was nice to OP.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
calling is safe and cheap, I agree. But many people c-bet flop-river unimproved... so I am not sure that you're getting any valuable info by checking flop. It is not necessarily cheap if you keep calling. If you push turn (not this turn)... and he calls you're most likely beat... I don't know. Regardless, turn was nice to OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take safe and cheap this early on and save my chip-chucking for later on. Maybe this is just a matter of style [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]