Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: What decides moving up in limits?

[ QUOTE ]
Whats the most important consideration: winrate, comfort level, bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's two schools of thought. The "take a shot when you have the bankroll" camp and the "I'll move up when I know I'm ready". The first may lead to instructive (but expensive) lessons - which will help your game - but could kill your bankroll. The second may slow your learning progress, you might be leaving money on the table, but your bankroll should be more secure. You've got to choose whats psychologically comfortable for you.

As for moving up, I'm in a similar situation. My thought process is that I'm at 3/6 and just starting to think about moving up to 5/10 - maybe in 3-4 months. 25,000+ hands - winrate of around 2.4bb/100. When I first sit down (online) there's always a few minutes of trepidation before I settle down and realize there's not a whole lot at 3/6 that worries me. My bankroll could probably even support a stab at 10/20 but I can't see playing there when I would be significant dog.

Before I move up to 5/10 I've got to take care of some major holes in my game. My blind stealing sucks (not nearly enough even with the 1/3 structure), my overall aggro needs to be higher (its a little under 2), pfr% is low (more blind stealing will help) and I still have the occasional boneheaded chip spewing hand. Value betting the river (ie stop seeing "monsters under the bed") is something I've worked on and was a major leak for me - and a lot of other low limit players. A 3bb/100 winrate at 3/6 should be achievable. It pains me that I'm not that close to it.

Another obvious thing I've experienced is that every mistake gets magnified at a higher limit. If you know there are holes in your game you might as well work at them at lower limits when they won't cost you as much.

As krubban said, when you feel you've reached a plateau at the limit you're at, then move up. For me, I've got a while before I hit that plateau at 3/6.

re: Datamining at 3/6. I don't think its that necessary. But perhaps thats another leak in my game.