Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

View Poll Results: How long have you been playing winning poker?
Just show me the results, please. 0 0%
Still losing. 5 3.27%
Less than 1 month. 0 0%
1-3 months. 12 7.84%
3-6 months. 17 11.11%
6 months to 1 year. 48 31.37%
1-2 years. 52 33.99%
2-5 years. 15 9.80%
5-10 years. 3 1.96%
More than a decade. 1 0.65%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Going to try playing live 1/2 for a living....

Does anyone else think that the OP is asking the wrong question? Perhaps he should be asking, "Is playing 1/2 NL a viable option for a living?" Hopefully, this isn't the OP's goal at the end of the road; sure, only you can determine what you want to do with your life, and don't let anyone tell you NOT to do what you love to do if you can make a living at it. But you've got to ask yourself if you're ok with putting a ceiling on your income. There isn't another bearable occupation out there where you could make, say $25-50,000? I don't see how you could make anything more than that playing 1-2 NL for a living.

Perhaps I'm just biased by the belief that I could make more money than that doing something other than playing 1-2 NL. Truthfully, I think this month's magazine addresses this subject well, between Dr. Al and Ed Miller. Who knows what the tables will be like in 5 years? Right now I'm a college student and can get by making <$10,000 a year. But what about having kids? Dental insurance? Health insurance? Mortgage payments? I don't see any way you could put the weight of a house on a 1/2 NL table. I'm probably rambling right now. I apologize if I am. But sometimes I wonder if "going pro" is an option that too many people think is realistic.

-ryan
Old 09-10-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Going to try playing live 1/2 for a living....

What about inflation. I will give you guys a story from me. I played 5/10 back in 95' to 97'. I was making 10 bucks an hour during the day and 15 on weekends and late night sessions. Everything is 25 to 50 percent more expensive now. Lord knows you will have to move up or be starved out trying to earn money at 1/2 in a 10 years. Really you should aspire to get a roll together and beat the next limit up at least.......