Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-04-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Toughest sport to play

marathon running basically uses only one energy system, (oxidative) rugby uses two of the three. there are short bouts of anaerobic energy and also endurance plays a huge factor. 40 minutes of non stop running, including hitting and tackling without any equipment is pretty damn tough to me. so marathon runners run for a long time, they are not using any other energy system (except maybe a sprint at the end) I agree with you jonny c , rugby is the toughest
Old 09-04-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
marathon running basically uses only one energy system, (oxidative) rugby uses two of the three. there are short bouts of anaerobic energy and also endurance plays a huge factor. 40 minutes of non stop running, including hitting and tackling without any equipment is pretty damn tough to me. so marathon runners run for a long time, they are not using any other energy system (except maybe a sprint at the end) I agree with you jonny c , rugby is the toughest

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for analyzing and proving my joke wrong
Old 09-04-2005, 06:02 PM

"including hitting and tackling without any equipment is pretty damn tough to me."

Eh it's pretty normal to anyone living outside the US [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think aussie rules football is tougher. The tackles aren't nearly as bad, but you get mid air collisions. These guys also have to play for 100 minutes or something, of reasonably constant play. They're ALWAYS running around since the game is played on a cricket pitch. They also need a high level of skill, mainly kicking/catching/jumping.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have you ever ran before? competitively? i doubt it. if you dont feel like youre gonna die during the whole race, youre not going hard enough.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:37 AM

i didnt say i did or that you don't feel like that during a marathon. the post was "toughest" sport. is there any physical contact in marathon races?