Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 08-31-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Wired Kings, time to fold?

[ QUOTE ]
I did not raise preflop because this tends to make table go wild and cap every bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've lost my last 4 times w/ AA and my last 2 w/ KK. Been running bad. Would still never make this statement.

You have the 2nd best starting hand possible. You're a favorite over everyone except AA. You should want them to cap.

Maybe that would have driven out button.

Anyway, after the flop, there's nothing else you can do, really.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:11 AM

Damn I was going to berate you but tiltaholic did it much more civilly. Welcome to poker dude, if this stuff bothers you find another hobby.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-31-2005, 10:19 AM

Raise preflop, bet the flop, bet the turn, bet the river.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:06 AM

Thank you for the well thought out comments Tilt.

[ QUOTE ]
now. i feel the need to address your thought processes:

[/ QUOTE ]

When ever I think that I have a basic understanding of the game I find out that I do not know much at all or that the knowledge I have spent so much time learning only makes a minimal difference in my game.

I have to agree with you and admit that my thought process is not what it should be. I know from reading, posting here, etc. that when I have KK I need to get my money in the pot and as much of it as possible. Now I played this hand like a pussy. As someone else commented (it may have been you) I should have lost even more money on this hand than I did which is correct. Guilty as charged. So I find that I am averse to risk and this is magnified when I have been drawn out numerous times. So how do I fix this? How can I get over this. Is there a way out of it?

When I play weak tight simi agressive and then play at short handed tables I seem to win. When the table fills then I begin to loose. This doesn't add up. Everyone seems to be very cautious when they play short and six max. I like playing short. This is the opposite of what most players at me level think.

I would rather play at calm tables with a VPIP of 25-35% because I win these games. When someone sits down and plays all hands and has a VPIP of 90-100% I begin to get nervous. I can still beat the game but if another 90-100% sits down or worse a third I begin to loose to thier draw outs even though I make them pay to draw they just do not fold and they win big pots. You guys seem to relish these types of games, you desire these games. I can not beat them.

I think I get more negative reinforcement from being drawn out on than I get positive reinforcement from winning the occasionial big pot. What do you think? Can it be corrected?

I know I suck but I think that I can get through this. Like a poster said maybe poker is not my game. It may not be but I enjoy the success I have at it enough to want to improve but there is going to come the day that I have to improve alot or give it up for something that I can loose at less, like craps.

For the longtime posters here - Do you think that I should keep trying or pack it in? You have seen my post here and you have seen enough posters come and go to tell me if you think this is a hole I can get out of or not.

Thanks for your honest comments.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn I was going to berate you but tiltaholic did it much more civilly. Welcome to poker dude, if this stuff bothers you find another hobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

tiltaholic is getting a bit soft, I know he feels my pain and I almost felt the love in his post!!!! You don't think he has been playing at Pacific do you?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:12 AM

Hey, you stole Uncle Salty's head! Hmmmm, and "lautzutao" isn't any kind of anagram for Uncle Salty (I'm remembering "ytlaselcnu" from a 2+2 table). What's up?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take a look at the play on this hand please. I did not raise preflop because this tends to make table go wild and cap every bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I can Identify your problem here. If you're holding KK and see a capped preflop round as a bad thing...

Aparat from joining what I expect is a chorus of people saying raise, I think you're right to bet that flop. If someone else raised I'd be happpy to call a raise on flop or turn, knoing QJ, QT, JT or whatever could be out there, because I've got outs all over the place. I'd be praying not to see a K though.

I'd bet the turn too, and check/call the river.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:29 AM

Hey. Poker is not easy. People (especially around here) seem to give the impression that it is. It is not. It takes thought, work, discipline, time, suffering, and work. And time and suffering too. Just when you think you know something, you realize you don't or that the small rock in your yard is actually a huge boulder underneath the ground. This is even more true when you are trying not just to play, but to IMPROVE your game.

It's very possible to learn a basic strategy that wins money. One could play it all day long at .5/1. But here, we talk of optimizing, of crushing, of oodles of cash. That takes work and it's just not for the faint of heart, the risk-averse, and the weak/tight, passive poker player.

[ QUOTE ]
So I find that I am averse to risk and this is magnified when I have been drawn out numerous times. So how do I fix this? How can I get over this. Is there a way out of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you are in the majority. Most people are risk averse. Few are risk-seekers. With respect to poker, some feel it cannot be overcome. "It is all luck" "Any two can do". People take refuge in this and treat poker as a game of luck, unwilling to believe a stratigical approach to the game will yield results. We know otherwise. But to overcome your risk-averse nature, you (and noone can do this but you) really need to just change the way you think abut poker, about losses, about wins, about your abilty, about your opponents ability, about the nature of a silly card game, about your humility...etc. Differnet people use different methods. For me, when I began to realize the "big picture" -- that their mistakes were my gain, that suckouts happen, that even AA gets cracked and that I'm not as good as I think I am and that I always need to improve.....to well, improve -- then, the little things didn't bother me so much. For others, they train themselves not to care, or they play 20 tables so they don't notice, or they just have a good time whether they win or lose. Either way, you have to do it, or you won't improve as a player.

It's very possible to play a winning style as a slightly passive player -- but at some point and level that just won't work anymore. That's why, around here, we preach learning correct play even at the lowest limits where things are less expensive to experience and experiment with.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think? Can it be corrected?

For the longtime posters here - Do you think that I should keep trying or pack it in? You have seen my post here and you have seen enough posters come and go to tell me if you think this is a hole I can get out of or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as in life, in poker there are people who blame the cards they were dealt or the people around them for their successes and failures. Very few take it upon themselves. And just as no one can tell you how to live your life, no one here can tell you how to succeed at poker. It really is all up to you.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are right Slansky says to almost always to do this. I just wonder if SSHE is the correct text for internet micro limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you wonder this? Is there a better text for these games than SSH?

[ QUOTE ]
I am a believer but I am having trouble following the commandments when I keep loosing money and hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

By not following them you will lose money.

[ QUOTE ]
Villian was ahead of me with his QT at the flop. He played me well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian played this terribly. I'm sure you see he left gobs of money on the table.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I did not raise preflop because this tends to make table go wild and cap every bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've lost my last 4 times w/ AA and my last 2 w/ KK. Been running bad. Would still never make this statement.

You have the 2nd best starting hand possible. You're a favorite over everyone except AA. You should want them to cap.

Maybe that would have driven out button.

Anyway, after the flop, there's nothing else you can do, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed...I have been on a horrible run, but there is no way I stop getting in as many bets as possible with my premium hands. Of the last 7 times that I got KK it has lost 6 times. AA has been running almost as bad, and QQ has only been a 50% winner. Top that off with the fact that in that same timeframe 65s is my biggest winner, and sometimes it is easy to start doubting the true strength of these hands.

Overall in my last 1500 hands AA/KK/QQ have been HUGE losers, but in the total 15,000 hands that I have in PT they have been HUGE winners. If I know that the whole table is going to go nuts and cap any raise that I put in regardless of their hands then it is just more incentive to shove as much money as I can into the put. I will lose sometimes, but basically I can count a large % of every BB in that pot as mine since I KNOW that stastically I will win very often here.