Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 08-10-2003, 04:19 AM

Default Re: What about Moneymaker v. Dutch?

[ QUOTE ]
Calling such a large all-in bet with 33 has to be wrong. Even when you're opponent has just overcards, he'll out draw you far more often than you'll outdraw him when your 33 is behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesnīt matter much IMO. You canīt so. Thatīs like saying "I will fold AA on that flop (27Tr), cause he might have a set. And if he doesnīt he will draw out on me more often than I will draw out his set"
Old 08-10-2003, 12:23 PM

Default Re: additional thoughts

You are exactly right. The top 65 finishers make it into the money, not the top 9. So all of the pontificating about how Phil Ivey should have carefully protected his chips in order to make the final table are ridiculous. If he went out 66th, then it might make sense, but he finished well in the money at 10th. (Didn't Dutch Boyd make over $80,000 for finishing 15th or so?)
One other point: I wish ESPN would let us know more frequently what the level of the blinds are. I see a guy go all in with $120,000 in chips and a pair of fives, and I want to know how soon the blinds would've eaten away his stack, but somehow that info is never communicated.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: additional thoughts

microlimit said "6 - i can see why one would want to squeeze into 9th place from 10th for more $$ but what's the big deal with advancing to the final day?? besides a certain amount of prestige that goes with it (and the additional cash of finishing one place higher) i think some are putting too much focus on the whole Final Day thing."

I think this is a big factor for many of the players in the WSOP (moment of fame for amateurs, unknown pro's), but should be a non-factor for Phil.

BTW I am away from TV, so don't know if they have TV coverage for the whole final table or less like it has occasionally been.

Craig
Old 08-23-2003, 01:03 AM

Default Re: What about Moneymaker v. Dutch?

BTW, he said he was going to "take over the poker room" as he was leaving, not take the poker world by storm. Otherwise, he was OBVIOUSLY (at least to me) speaking tongue in cheek about the chip juggling. MM's play on the 33 vs. KQo hand was a fantastic read, plain and simple. With that flop, from the preflop action, he obviously ascertained Dutch wasn't playing any low cards,(he even called for it b4 dutch turned over), and, if thought out, along with boyd's agressive style, makes the call much more reasonable. ALL tournament winners get lucky a few times over the course of the tournament, period. He only "got lucky " once, on the brenes hand, and he played the hand in a fashion in which he was trying to win w/o showing; it was a good poker play at the wrong time, and he hit the 11-1 shot, which, strangely enough, happens every 12th hand or so..... The Ivey hand was totally misplayed my Ivey on the flop, and he got broke by a hand w/ legitimate outs. It was only a a little over a 6-1 shot for MM to draw out, much less than the 11-1 ivey hit. MM played a great tournament, got luck a few times where he needed it,(as all do who win tourneys), and deserves the win. Now Varkonyi the previous year.... THAT was a TOTAL luck fluke.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:03 AM

Default Re: WSOP

No kidding but I am sure it takes a tremendous amount of luck to win in a field of 800+ of the best. Good to see another person from KC post.

baseball38 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]