Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2003, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Players Skill Comparison

Cardsharkdave,

I have read all of the responses and am intrigued by a few of them; particularly the poster who mentioned that Dynasty claims that playing any pair utg can be profitable in the right game. I am not sure that I necessarily agree with that statement, but I do agree that almost all situations are game dependant.

In regards to your statement about your results possibly improving by playing against better players, I would ask you the question of whether you actually mean "better" players or "more predictable" players?

I have found that as players progress through the different stages of their playing careers, a couple of characteristics seem to be inherent. One of these characteristics is that when extremely weak players actually attempt to become better players, they usually become more predictable.

When a poor/weaker player reads his/her first book, or attempts to actually study the game, they usually make an effort to "tighten" up their game and make the "right" play. Many times when they do this, they become fairly predictable and much easier to play against.

Until a player figures out how to tighten up their play without being too predictable, they can be vulnerable to players who can recognize the situation and take advantage of this.

With this possible exception, I do not believe that your results, or anyone's results will improve if they play in a game with truly "better" players.

Just some thoughts...

Michael D.