Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 08-10-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Did Phil Ivey implode..?Final table ESPN circuit event Take Tahoe

[ QUOTE ]
yea supposedly they played heads up for a long time, cant remember the exact duration [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Nolan Dalla's report, the final table went 12:20, heads-up was about 3 hours.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:28 AM

I honestly think he could care less about the money and just got tired. The guy is a gambler and plays/bets high enough so that the prize money was probably not a big deal to him and he just decided to take chances.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think he could care less about the money and just got tired. The guy is a gambler and plays/bets high enough so that the prize money was probably not a big deal to him and he just decided to take chances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this...I read that he finds multi-day tournaments "boring" and he gets distracted by the juicy side action...that he could make more in those cash games than the 1st place cash...if that is true why does he play in these things? Television / Full Tilt etc?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:44 AM

If he really was bored or whatever/didn't feel like playing anymore then why not just leave and move up the money while other people bust out? Obviously nobodys going to do that though.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:14 PM

Because that both guarantee's him losing and not winning. If he just opens wildly, he either busts out quick or takes it quick.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with this...I read that he finds multi-day tournaments "boring" and he gets distracted by the juicy side action...that he could make more in those cash games than the 1st place cash...if that is true why does he play in these things? Television / Full Tilt etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

groupies
Old 08-10-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He has a thing for the masseuse.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:11 PM

I was hoping ESPN would give more time to this heads up matchup than they did because it was a 3 hour or so battle. ESPN makes it look like Ivey just didn't care and blew 3 big hands right away. Sadly for Ivey he didn't have the Henry Tran/Danny Nyugen magic on those draws.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:38 PM

I followed it live on cardplayer when it was happening and it was actually much more of a back and forth battle than what espn showed, and it went on for over 3 hours. The shocking thing was how suddenly it ended.

Lisandro did double up early in heads up when Ivey called the push with the flush draw, which put them close to even in chips, but Ivey pushed back hard (playing extremely aggressively) and had over a 3 to 1 chip advantage again 20 hands later. Ivey still held a fairly substantial chip lead right up until the end, but then those last two hands (Ivey pushing with the open end straight draw and calling with the pair of two) did come almost back to back.

Those two hands were played strangely, to say the least. Ivey had only bet 60,000 into Lisandro with the straight draw when Lisandro moved in. I don't like the call at all. And I didn't understand the check/call when he paired his two's. I guess he was trying to represent a slow-played straight.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:59 PM

I was thinking that he made a deal and wanted to get out of there to get to the big game. Ivey doesn't seem to care about fame (any Negraneau fans out there?) and perhaps he needed to get back to his real job.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think of Iveys last few televised hands?

IMHO it came across that Phil Ivey wanted to get lucky, rather than outplay his opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]