Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 07-23-2003, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Liberalism - How Far Has it Strayed From Original Concept?

Zeno,

Exactly the part of the definition I was drawn to for the reasons you mention--among others. The philosophical project in the last 35 years or so has dismantled the belief in transcendent truth, but, of course, this is an old definition. What the hell is "natural reason," and can only men possess it? Whenever you spot the word "natural," be careful.

As far as having less government in my life, I don't really see the difference. Should I? Is government smaller? Do I feel more secure in my person?

Glad to hear you're a liberal--but which kind?
Old 07-24-2003, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Liberalism - How Far Has it Strayed From Original Concept?

"Glad to hear you're a liberal--but which kind? "

That's the conundrum isn't it. I'm a liberal with a handgun and the moral scruples to blast anyone that enters my castle. I'm a liberal that is voting for Bush. I'm a liberal that uses his brains. I'm a liberal that is a conservative. And that last statement speaks volumes, methinks. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

If you put all that together you have - well, I don't know really. I think a word connoisseur like you could come with something, but please keep the sarcasm and ribbing to a tolerable level.

As for the smaller or bigger government argument - well I like the old saw "its not the size that matters but how you use it". [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

-Zeno