Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-03-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: AKo-AQo - missplayed both?

That's a very good point. Sometimes you have to pay off a turn check-raise in large part because you folded to one or two earlier against the same player, or at the same table... This is more true of aggressive opposition, specifically loose-aggressive opposition, than it is of passive types.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:11 PM

grunching...

- Hand 1:

Flop: I think check raising and leading out are probably similar in value. Betting out protects your hand better if you expect MP1 to raise with an underpair. Check raising traps him and the 2 others for 2 bets. This is not a spot where your opponents are unlikely to have a 4-5 out draw against you so I like check raising to trap people with hands like A-8, A-4, 99 for 2 bets.

If I lead out and get raised I will 3 bet and go in call down mode if he caps. (villain could have AK as well)

Turn:

It's unlikely you are ahead here, unless your opponent is overplaying JJ or TT. You could be tied with AK. The only logical hands that beat you are AA (3 combos), QQ (3 combos), and KK (1 combo). These are just a bit more likely than AK (6 combos). I would call down from there, the pot is big, there is a good chance you are splitting and btn is most likely drawing almost dead, so he is padding the pot for you.

- Hand 2:

pre-flop: I don't like calling a raise from the SB w AQ here.

flop:

In this spot, I would go for a check raise to protect my hand. The preflop raiser will likely bet this flop. If someone as T9 or something like that, I want him to have to call two cold to draw to his five outer.

The way you played it, it looks like CO has either a pair of A with a flush draw, just a flush draw or a set of 99. He could have flopped Aces up, or he could be overplaying a AQ.

Turn:

No way I fold here. I would check call, you're hand is likely to be good here, and the pot is big.

In these 2 hands it seems like you focus on making big laydowns. This may be ok when the pot is small, but when the pot is big it is a very bad thing. To fold when the pot is big, you need to be absolutely (relative to the pot size) sure that your hand is no good and that you have no good chance to improve.

I don't know if you read Small Stakes Hold'em (SSH), but if you haven't I highly recommend it.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:14 PM

Hand 1:
Cap this PF.
Three bet the flop. Hand may play differently depending on whether villain caps. If he does, I would check/call down. If not, I'd lead the turn.

I don't understand why you folded. TPTK getting 10:1, not a fold.

Hand 2:
Fold to the raise PF.

Since you didn't, I may argue for a check-raise on the flop, since the bet is going to come from your left with only one player between. This way you can face the majority of the field with cold calling. (Ignoring that we all see that CO raised, you didn't know that then)

In the future, you should also post only one hand per post.

*edit: wrote turn where i meant flop
Old 07-03-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yikes, I really misread the preflop action in the second hand.

I thought he was saying that raising AQo in general was optional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. And I was laughing at your photo. Eff you! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like calling a raise from the SB w AQ here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you advocating a 3-bet or a fold? If it's the latter, I want some of what you're smoking.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2:
Fold to the raise PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Meh. Ptoooey!
Old 07-03-2005, 07:31 PM

I know, I didn't realize at first that Hero was in SB while posting. I noticed shortly after and didn't correct my post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for pointing it out too.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:40 PM

I'd been waiting for an opportunity; muahaha [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2005, 07:53 PM

Hand 1 i would cap reflop and check/raise the flop. If you lead out the flop anyone with any piece of the board would have a correct call.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 i would cap reflop and check/raise the flop. If you lead out the flop anyone with any piece of the board would have a correct call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with the cap preflop. But how does check raising, when the likely bettor is to your left, cut down on your popponents as opposed to leading the flop and getiing raised (thus facing the feild to call 2). Check raising here is the kinda play you wanna make to trap people for more bets.