Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 06-25-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Effects of Taking a Beating

To me you seem like one of these players who is playing primarily for ego. You do not want to win money so much as you want all the players at the table to know how bad they suck and how great you are at the same time.

They will never acknowledge that you are "better" than them. If you want to play a game where you can crush your opponents ego and leave them with no doubts that you are more skillful and smarter than them then take up chess.

Poker is a gamboooling game ruled by chance. You can either accept that fact or go insane and quit poker, forever.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me you seem like one of these players who is playing primarily for ego. You do not want to win money so much as you want all the players at the table to know how bad they suck and how great you are at the same time.

They will never acknowledge that you are "better" than them. If you want to play a game where you can crush your opponents ego and leave them with no doubts that you are more skillful and smarter than them then take up chess.

Poker is a gamboooling game ruled by chance. You can either accept that fact or go insane and quit poker, forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to tell if you're talking to me or SteamBoatin since you replied to his post. Nevertheless, are you sure you replied to the right thread? I don't get "ego" out of my OP nor any of the replies.

Personally, I am looking for no acknowledgement whatsoever at the table, good or bad, and I work hard to make sure I am kind to everyone at the table and keep a happy face on at all times. There are certainly regulars every weekend, but for the most part, the faces change from month to month and I couldn't give a hoot whether they thought of me as a good or bad poker player. Bad would be better for me.

Its not a manhood test for me. Purely financial. The side income is great and I just want to become better at it.

Onaflag.........
Old 06-25-2005, 11:46 PM

Yeah, good suggestions in the thread... especially the one about playing more "speculative" hands in these no-foldem-hold'em games. Hell, play them like aces preflop then let the flop dictate how you act later. If these guys are truly noticing when you cap w/AA, perhaps it's time to cap with T9s *in position* also. Just don't start capping with those little pairs.

Another suggestion might be to learn how to play Omaha8. Holdem is a game of very small edges, where fish get a break by "schooling" together. This kills them in O8. Absolutely KILLS them because O8 is a game of massive edges.

GL.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am still a huge winner. I cannot, however, mathematically deal with the notion that correct play wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

These 2 sentences contradict each other.

The fact that you are a huge winner proves that correct play does in fact win.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:05 AM

i keep 3 post it notes on my monitor "PPP" for Play Perfect Poker lol...and 2 that read "DO NOT BET UNLESS YOU HAVE THE GOODS" If you are playing at a table vs donks, they will call you all the way down to showdown with bottom pair, simply because they have a chance at winning. do not try to outplay them, do not throw up your hands and say "how could you call me down with that garbage?" be thankful they are calling you down with that junk. =D just be patient
Old 06-26-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i keep 3 post it notes on my monitor "PPP" for Play Perfect Poker lol...and 2 that read "DO NOT BET UNLESS YOU HAVE THE GOODS" If you are playing at a table vs donks, they will call you all the way down to showdown with bottom pair, simply because they have a chance at winning. do not try to outplay them, do not throw up your hands and say "how could you call me down with that garbage?" be thankful they are calling you down with that junk. =D just be patient

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL when I used to play internet poker years ago, I also had a yellow sticky on my monitor that read "Discipline". Check out my post from today and you will see why. I will have to stick that one back up. Thanks for the reminder. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]