Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Tightening up wrong for low-limit SNGs?

[ QUOTE ]
...I was basically, for example, calling raises with ONLY AA, KK, QQ, AKs/u and AQs for the first 3 blind levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not an expert on the really low level SnG's, but it doesn't sound like a big flaw in your game. However, by the 2nd and 3rd level you should be able to lower your standards for some preflop raisers. I imagine there will be a lot of very LAG preflop players at the 5's, and I should think you could punish them with less-than-premium hands and decent post flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is definitely wrong. You tighten up more in L2 and L3 because you have less chips to hit a flop. And note, I reraise with AA-JJ, AK, AQ in the right spots here. The hands you call raises with are PP's hitting a set, and they really want you to have a stack behind.

As for playing tight, you really don't have the odds to hit a lot of suited connectors. You don't want to play AJo in EP. You don't like playing bad cards without huge implied odds.

That said, most of the standard advice on this forum is too tight (including mine), especially if you know how to play postflop, which you probably do after playing ring games.

Play good implied odds situations, raise with decent hands folded to you in LP. But remember, calling a raise means a large portion of your stack, so you can't be loose there. And you really don't want to waste chips early.