Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 06-01-2005, 11:37 AM

Default figuring out equity

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="blue"> Hero ...? </font>

I just got SSHE in the mail a few days ago, and am reading/rereading a few times over the section on pot equity to see if i fully understand it...

In this situation, by betting out, and even if reraised and put heads up, my 2 SB for calling that is lower than my 2.59 pot equity at that point (7.4 * 35% equity for flush), and therefore is kosher?

Even better, elaborate on it and explain the equity thing to me so it doesn't seem to be the same thing as doing pot odds.

Thanks, I know I'm suppost to put it in the beginners section, but you guys know SSHE like the back of your hand [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: figuring out equity

My understanding is that equity determines whether you should call or raise. 35% of 4.4. is 1.59 or something like that...so if someone bet, I suppose a raise would not be in order...

I'm new to equity myself, but that is how I understand it.

- Jim
Old 06-01-2005, 11:43 AM

I bet this. Uhh, what was the question?

Krishan
Old 06-01-2005, 11:49 AM

Brief lesson in equity:

First, count your outs. In your example, you have the FD (9 outs) and a BDFD (1.5 outs). So total you have 10.5 outs.

Next, compute your equity. Take your total outs and multiply by 4 on the flop, 2 on the turn. Since we're on the flop, 10.5 x 4 = 42% equity.

Third, compute fair share equity. This is the equity that every player shares and is simple 100% / the number of players still in the pot. You have four, so 100 / 4 = 25%.

Last, compute your equity edge. This is how much more equity you hold over your "fair share". Simply take your equity (42%) and subtract the fair share equity (25%) to get your equity edge (17%).

The higher your equity edge, the more apt you should be to bet/raising. It's all very situational, of course. For example in your situation, if you were second to act and the first player bet you probably wouldn't want to raise there even though you have an great equity edge. If you blow the two others out of the pot and don't improve on the turn, you're equity and edge has just gone WAY down.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:53 AM

You're overestimating. You don't count a BDFD when you already have a FD. Nine outs is all hero gets here.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

First, count your outs. In your example, you have the FD (9 outs) and a BDFD (1.5 outs). So total you have 10.5 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the FD for 9 outs, but isn't it a BDSD, not BDFD?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My understanding is that equity determines whether you should call or raise. 35% of 4.4. is 1.59 or something like that...so if someone bet, I suppose a raise would not be in order...

I'm new to equity myself, but that is how I understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the idea. You have four to the flush here. Let's assume (and typically this is the case) that no one else has 2 spades. So 35% of the time you will hit your flush and drag the pot.

So on the flop if you bet and get 2 callers, you will be putting in 33% of the money but essentially "own" 35% of the money going in making a small profit. If you bet and get 3 callers, you are only putting in 25% but still own 35%, so by betting you make an immediate profit.

Now it's a little different if someone bets into you, your position in relation to the bettor makes a huge difference. If someone bets and you are next to act you should just call. You certainly don't want to raise and force everyone to call 2 bets or fold as you'll likely end up heads up - putting in 50% of the money when you only have 35% equity. If the situation were a little different though and the action was bet/call/call to you, you would want to raise. These 3 players will likely call at least one more bet and you'll again be putting in 25% of the money with 35% equity.

Things change drastically on the turn because if you haven't hit your flush yet there is only a 20% chance that you will. Now if you bet and get 3 callers you are putting in 25% of the money but only own 20% - so you would actually lose money if you continued betting here. Nevertheless you still own enough of the pot to call a turn bet as you only need 1:4 pot odds.

Hope this helps!
D5
Old 06-01-2005, 11:55 AM

Question:

Wouldn't the 9 outs for the flush draw only count as 4.5 outs as they are only partial outs...it is not a nut flush draw?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't the 9 outs for the flush draw only count as 4.5 outs as they are only partial outs...it is not a nut flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that it is a non-nut flush draw. Flush over flush though is very rare (when using both hole cards). If there are 4 to the flush on the board then you need to be very worried about a higher flush. With just 3 though you will win a huge % of the time. 4.5 would be discounting way too much. I would count this as 8 outs at least.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that it is a non-nut flush draw. Flush over flush though is very rare (when using both hole cards). If there are 4 to the flush on the board then you need to be very worried about a higher flush. With just 3 though you will win a huge % of the time. 4.5 would be discounting way too much. I would count this as 8 outs at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I draw to a 3-flush board I always give myself 9 outs. Not that it matters since I haven't counted outs on a flush draw since I got to 2/4.

Krishan