Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 04-24-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Protecting against flush draw

Villain is VERY LAG, after 83 hands he's got 86% VPIP and 22% PFR. I've seen him show down utter crap both for wins and beats. He'd draw to anything, but it's the principle I'm after. How to go about protecting this hand?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Might have been pretty loose pf call, but the game was generally pretty loose so I figured this hand to be profitable.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, BB calls.

I'm thinking I should've checked here, because my hand is pretty vulnerable and pot is small.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds, BB calls.

Since villain is LAG he' probably bet out had I checked, but then I'd raise him, and he'd seen the river profitably anyways. Would get the other two out though. Since I didn't check the flop here, I'd just bet out anyways since I figured I still have the best hand.

River: (6.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Uh-oh. Seems like he got his draw if that's what he was drawing too. He's an avid bluffer though, so of course I'll call.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

So, please comments. Is my reasoning right, how would you've played this hand?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Protecting against flush draw

yeah, the preflop is questionable, but your read on table conditions makes it playable.

flop: you have TPGK with BDFD, i'd bet it too.
turn: probably a blank. bet.
river: bet, call. (did BB fold the river? he disappeared)
Old 04-24-2005, 11:02 AM

If you think you can protect against a flush draw, you're thinking wrong. Bet every street, call the river raise. I rarely limp with KJo unless I'm LP with a huge field, and I generally don't play it EP.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:05 AM

Why is that? KJo doesn't really shine in a huge field...
Old 04-24-2005, 11:06 AM

Preflop: KJo is a dangerous hand, even in MP. I only play it in LP since it is easily dominated. Fold here.

Flop: You have to bet here, you are very likely best. I thought the same a few weeks ago about flush draws but there is a great section in TOP about this. You cannot protect against them but someone drawing to a flush is getting 4:1 odds and the pot there is giving them 0:1 if you check (unlimited odds, no lose situation). However, if you bet they have 5.5:1 at least which is still good odds but your cutting down their profit when they call. Since you have reduced the money they are making when they call (although they are still +ev) that money is going somewhere and since your hand is likely best, most of it is coming to you.

When you have a 2 suited flop, just bet good hands and hope the flush draw doesnt appear.

Turn: Probably not helped anyone and you dont want to give a free card (see above about opponents drawing to stuff). Have to bet again.

River: The river completes ONLY the flush draw. How confident are you that BB has this? If you think he may you should check behind else bet/fold. I am not that good with putting people on hands at the river and would have probably bet/folded (maybe called)

Hope that helps
Old 04-24-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is that? KJo doesn't really shine in a huge field...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like quoting pokerstove numbers, but equity-wise it does well with either a huge field or a very small field. I don't know whether you're advocating folding it to a huge field or not, but I don't think that's a terrible plan either.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

River: ... I am not that good with putting people on hands at the river and would have probably bet/folded (maybe called)

[/ QUOTE ]

Womble bets, LAG raises, Womble folds.

LAG shows Qs4h for the scare card bluff raise.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:18 AM

PF: fold, KJo utg is too loose a call imo.
F: no, no checking. you probably have the best hand here. bet.
T: bet is good, thinking is the same as for flop
R: bet good, call good.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:18 AM

Good hand, but stop worrying about flush draws. If you just played every hand assuming that nobody had a flush draw unless there were 3 on the board, or the action indicated a likely flush draw (which this hand doesn't, LAG's would always raise a flush draw here), you would be better off. Flush draws are pretty rare.