Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 04-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Default KQ UTG

Party 5/10 6 max

I open raise KQo UTG and get three bet by the cutoff. Folded around to me and I call. The flop comes down: A Q X. What's the best line to take from here?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: KQ UTG

Check call to the river.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:48 PM

It depends on the CO but check-call, check-call, bet-fold is a line I'd routinely take.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:28 PM

I usually take a line like this but I hate when it gets checked through on the turn. What about donk betting, if the cutoff is a player that won't raise anything worse than an ace, and folding to a raise.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually take a line like this but I hate when it gets checked through on the turn. What about donk betting, if the cutoff is a player that won't raise anything worse than an ace, and folding to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in these situations that unless we have the player pegged as passive he is going to almost always bet the turn for us. Firing at least the second barrel is almost standard for most players in 6-max.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:07 PM

Good point. In this particular hand I check raised the flop and my opponent folded. I think this is obviously a bad line since I won't get any action from hands that I beat.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in these situations that unless we have the player pegged as passive he is going to almost always bet the turn for us. Firing at least the second barrel is almost standard for most players in 6-max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, this is going to be a decent spot to do some passivecalling. muhahahha
Old 04-18-2005, 04:35 PM

nobody likes betting the flop?
how about betting the flop.If you are called check -call the turn and check-call the river.Many players (typical,over-aggresive 6MAX donk) that have worse hands then you are just as likely to bet the turn in this scenario.

Would you rather check call all the way down or bet the flop and perhaps get some semblance of where you are at.One problem with betting in this situation is that many players will raise your flop bet no matter what they have and you are in a tough spot.This is an area I need to work on because it encapsulates 2 main weaknesses in my 6MAX game right now ...I'm too aggressive on the flop and my WSD is much lower than the accepted norm on this board.

Can this really be the optimal track more often than not to check-call to showdown?
My problem is I often play this situation too straight forward.I think by trying to find out where I'm at immediatley I'm being pushing off the best hand or just being out-played so maybe check-calling is the best play..help
Old 04-18-2005, 08:15 PM

The problem with this line is that you will get raised on the river he doen't always have a better hand. Sometimes he's just a maniac, or sometimes he's a great player who has seen you pull this line before. I only advocate the check call - check call - bet line when you call the raise on the river.

Only if you can trust your opponent to raise a better hand, it's ok, but this doens't happen in online games.

CHecking feels week because sometimes you lose a bet when he checks behind with JJ, there's not much you can do. you're out of position, it's flat out less profitable.