Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 04-07-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Why Geniuses Don\'t Make Money

I've not read through the thread but could someone just give me the easy answer?

I've got an IQ of 147+ but I only earn £16.3K after almost 6 years in my job, I assume there's a straightforward fix to this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Many Thanks
Old 04-07-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've not read through the thread but could someone just give me the easy answer?

I've got an IQ of 147+ but I only earn £16.3K after almost 6 years in my job, I assume there's a straightforward fix to this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Many Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy answer: Lack of honesty? Lack of drive?

Less easy answer: Go to school and become an engineer. If your IQ is 147+ (which it probably isn't), any degree program that qualifies you for a high salary job should be easy to complete. Most engineering disciplines can make you a good income without requiring graduate school. (You only need a bachelor's.)

Easiest answer: Sell all your possessions, go to Vegas, and put all your money on red.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got an IQ of 147+ but I only earn £16.3K after almost 6 years in my job, I assume there's a straightforward fix to this.

Many Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Less easy answer: Go to school and become an engineer. If your IQ is 147+ (which it probably isn't), any degree program that qualifies you for a high salary job should be easy to complete. Most engineering disciplines can make you a good income without requiring graduate school. (You only need a bachelor's.)

Easiest answer: Sell all your possessions, go to Vegas, and put all your money on red.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok I wasn't really looking for an easy answer, I was just posting to show that having a high IQ doesn't make it easy to be a high flier - having drive and direction have got to be just as important.

To answer your other points, I do have a kinda non-vocational science degree which doesn't count for too much, studying a subject that leads directly to a profession/trade would of definitely been a good idea.

Also I said 147 + as on the day I did the test I had man flu (a bit of a cold) so I reckon I'm worth a point or two extra (148 was the score needed to gain membership)
Old 04-08-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lack of drive certainly hurts the earning potential of many "geniuses", but I fail to see how lack of honesty fits in there. Whether it's kissing the CEO's ass, or concealing your joy at having flopped quads, insincerity (not to be confused with outright fraudulent behavior) can be a huge asset in the business world, or on the poker table.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lack of drive certainly hurts the earning potential of many "geniuses", but I fail to see how lack of honesty fits in there. Whether it's kissing the CEO's ass, or concealing your joy at having flopped quads, insincerity (not to be confused with outright fraudulent behavior) can be a huge asset in the business world, or on the poker table.

[/ QUOTE ]

When i said "lack of honesty", i was referring directly to the quoted poster's question about why HE wasn't making a lot of money, inferring that he was being dishonest about his 148 IQ.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When i said "lack of honesty", i was referring directly to the quoted poster's question about why HE wasn't making a lot of money, inferring that he was being dishonest about his 148 IQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr kiddj, The word is implying.

You inferred from his post that it was doubtful his IQ was truthfully stated, and then you implied that he wasn't being honest. I inferred from your post that you are not as smart as you think you are, and I am directly stating my opinion.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You inferred from his post that it was doubtful his IQ was truthfully stated, and then you implied that he wasn't being honest. I inferred from your post that you are not as smart as you think you are, and I am directly stating my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell 'im mister.

Mack
Old 04-09-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely right! My choice of word was not correct. I don't believe I ever claimed that I was smart, however. You incorrectly inferred that I was implying that I was smart. I was just being a jackass to the guy with the genius IQ. No harm intended: my sarcasm font doesn't work when I'm posting here. ;-)
Old 04-12-2005, 06:41 AM

I am not as smart as I think I am.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't look for the negatives in everything. Look for the positives, like: Love of alcohol/drugs? Love of gambling?