Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 03-04-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: I don\'t get group buys - help me understand

Stephan, I'm going to repost msot of what I said at the TH-P.com forum, in case 2+2'ers don't make it over there:

=========================

Although it appears on the surface that you are trying to undermine the Paulson group buy, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and consider your post a true concern for the buyers.

Here are my thoughts:

Just about every point you make is wrong. Here are the facts/rebuttals about my last Egyptian group buy, AND about the new Pharaoh's Club Paulson group buy:

* Motivation

All members get a great price, and pride in participating in (and owning a set with) a unique design

* Why are group buy posts are allowed?

These posts are allowed probably because they are a SERVICE to members.

* Giving money to a stranger, cash only, no returns, defective product etc

I will going through a retail distributor with my new Paulson group buy just as I did with the Egyptians. http://HoldemPokerChips.com did a wonderful job on my last group buy. They are courteous, helpful, trustworthy, and the owner is also a contributing poster on this and other forums. I challenge you to find A SINGLE BUYER in my group buys who disagrees.

http://HoldemPokerChips.com provided safe credit card sales, returnable product, and an extended buy period at original prices. Shipping is insured, well packed, and guaranteed with prompt tracking updates. This negates all of your points.

I haven't chosen a distributor yet for the Pharaoh's Club group buy, and you were actually on my list of calls to make once my order hit 50,000 units. I can now see that's one less call I need to make since it appears you are completely against this type of group buy.

* Little say over the design?

You must not have followed my countless design posts on 2+2. The support and participation was enormous. On every stage of the chip design I posted photos and polls, and took all suggestions into consideration prior to making the final decision. I think everyone involved shared in my pride that we created a unique design that is well recieved everywhere in the poker chip community.

* Assuming the risk of a fraudulent group buy

Stephan, I think it was dispicable to single me out, when I've organized the biggest, safest group buy ever. And planning to top that one with the new Paulson group buy. I take offense as on behalf of myself and to the proprietor of HoldemPokerChips.com.

With sales being made by ESCROW in my first buy, and credit card sales in the second, how can you even consider this accusation?

* On top of you being wrong about all of those things, the most important point is that we GOT A BETTER PRICE! Try buying 1000 Chipco custom chips by yourself with a different design on each chip. You'll pay WELL over $2000 for those chips.

There. I said it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Greg Cagle
aka Ten Percenter
4216 Los Robles Drive
Plano, TX 75074

817-798-5932

http://www.thecagles.com
http://www.lightningsolutions.net
http://www.tenpercenter.com
Old 03-04-2005, 11:34 PM

d00d, Ten....

You just posted your phone number and address on the internut.

I'd edit that crap out if I were you. If it's in your whois info I'd get rid of it there too. Just trying to watch out for your interests. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
d00d, Ten....

You just posted your phone number and address on the internut.

I'd edit that crap out if I were you. If it's in your whois info I'd get rid of it there too. Just trying to watch out for your interests. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a cell phone, and I'm not worried in the least. I don't need to be told about the dangers, I founded Compass Communications, an ISP in Seattle, and started and ran a network consulting company until 2000 (Lightningweb Networking). I get 200-300 spams every day because I refuse to give up the same email address I've had for many many years. http://Mailblocks.com takes care of that splendidly.

To prevent any of the insinuations from swaying even ONE group buyer, I want everyone to know that I'm an ok guy. Call me, write me, hell, come on over.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have four different IM accounts running at all times, and they are posted freely at any forum I join. Anyone can contact me.

Ten
Old 03-05-2005, 12:42 AM

cool enough. I don't think you're a scam simply because of how you've handled the two buys you've done. To be honest with you, an address and a phone number don't go nearly as far as a distributor like holdempokerchips.com does. I understand the sentiment though.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:08 AM

i will disagree with everything BuyPokerChips has said. If you are looking for some kind of sympathy or something, youve come to the wrong place.

But heres some advice. If your REALLY want to make some money, get Bud Jones (NOT coin inlayed) to make custom chips for you. Even Jesus himself couldnt persuade that company to sell to the public. if u can do that, then i guarantee you will see some profit in your future.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:40 AM

Ten, I can certainly see being mentioned as being annoying or insulting. People (especially professional cynics like me) may appear paranoid to you but to them they are just meeting their own comfort level.

I only get 200 spams a day and mailarmory.com helps me deal with those. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Family member who bought the Egyptians for me got to see them yesterday: best looking chips she'd ever seen. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This is someone with a native artistic bent - can't wait to run them in front of her professional artist buddy.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:20 PM

I will attest to the last group buy of Egyptians.

I purchased over 1300 chips and am planning to rebuy more. Michael at HoldemPokerChips.com was simply the best internet purchase experience that I have ever had. He answered every email question immediately and was extremely friendly. He gave frequent updates on schedule and even gave links to the delivery tracking. You can tell that he was genuinely interested in this purchase, perhaps as much as any of us. I really felt like I was buying from a small town store on the internet!

TenPercenter, your design was simply the most exquisite chip that I have ever seen. When I saw your chips for the first time on the Poker Chips Pictures Only post, My jaw just dropped. I was heartbroken when I found out that I had missed out on a group buy for those chips. Of course I jumped at the chance of the second buy. The Octs and Plaques really added to the uniqueness factor. My players love to bump the pot T$15,000 with a very satisfying clack. I have been remiss in posting my kudos before but now is as good a time as any. Keep up the great work.

I don't feel like I had to sacrifice anything and in fact it was quite the opposite. After so many screwups with other online purchases, this purchase was a great experience and a great product.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:21 AM

Relax Ten... or Mr. Cagle... or HoldemPokerChips.com... or whoever!

Not singling you out, just using your group buy as an example. I'm just trying to understand how and why these things work, and what need it serves, which I've been enlightened by in many of the posts to this thread. I don't have anything against group buys, they sound great to me for all involved if it's all above board. They serve the community just like retailers do, just a little differently. Retailers speculate, group buys are more grassroots, which I understand is appealing (and I applaud).

Oddly enough, in the midst of this thread, a strange thing occurred to me, it seems to me that these particular group buys are nothing more than a means of working the bulletin board system in themselves. In my mind, Holdempokerchips.com is a chip retailer like any other that gets around advertising on boards by doing "group buys". I mean they sell these things on their site after the group buys, right. How's that different from a retailer coming out with a line of chips. Ingenious really. I see Holdempokerchips.com as the originating body, and a somewhat seedy one in my brief experience with them. After all they, in fact, publically sell my Vintage Vegas chips on their site (it appears as in stock sets which anyone could buy 2, 3, or 10 of) even though I've emailed them to cease and desist in reselling our company's goods without permission (not to mention these chips are no longer made).

Holdempokerchip.com, I have a problem with. Group buys, I don't have any problem whatsoever.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:01 AM

I do not know if this was changed recently it looks like he mentions your site in the description of these chips. Why can’t he resell your chips? He bought them from you they are his now. It is just like selling them on eBay. Sounds like you are jealous. So you are going to bash this other company. I hope holdempokerchips.com responds. I am starting to get the opinion that you are the unscrupulous company.

[ QUOTE ]
I see Holdempokerchips.com as the originating body, and a somewhat seedy one in my brief experience with them. After all they, in fact, publically sell my Vintage Vegas chips on their site (it appears as in stock sets which anyone could buy 2, 3, or 10 of) even though I've emailed them to cease and desist in reselling our company's goods without permission (not to mention these chips are no longer made).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-07-2005, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Relax Ten... or Mr. Cagle... or HoldemPokerChips.com... or whoever!

Not singling you out, just using your group buy as an example.

Ingenious really. I see Holdempokerchips.com as the originating body, and a somewhat seedy one in my brief experience with them. After all they, in fact, publically sell my Vintage Vegas chips on their site (it appears as in stock sets which anyone could buy 2, 3, or 10 of) even though I've emailed them to cease and desist in reselling our company's goods without permission (not to mention these chips are no longer made).

Holdempokerchip.com, I have a problem with. Group buys, I don't have any problem whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

It continues to amaze me, your portrayed obtuseness. You act like all of this is new to you, including pretending as if you've never heard of me, or HoldemPokerChips.com, or "whoever." I mean, come one, you spent four paragraphs trying to instill doubt in my SPECIFIC group buy. And now you say in essence, "Oh, that reminds me, I have a beef with HoldemPokerChips.com! They [as my competitor] sell a product that I'm out of stock on!" Come on Stephan, the guy can sell whatever he wants! And he even credits your site in the sale! Jeez, you're dealing a low blow here...

It looks as though your vendetta goes deeper than just being bested by a bunch of chip junkies doing group buys. Or, you just like to take jabs at everyone in the chip industry. Any other half-veiled insinuations you want to make?

Ten

p.s. Your complaint reminds me of a story I heard about Sam Walton where he went and BOUGHT OUT all the ladies underwear from his competitor across the street. Then he offered them at a discount to everyone, and his competitor had no underwear. Go Sam!