Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-01-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: College Advice.

I'm an engineer and getting through all the calc classes was the key to getting through the curriculum on time. I'd imagine it's much the same in CS. That said, it's not the worst thing in the world if you're a semester behind. If you really have no chance to bring up your grade in pre-calc, I'd drop it and get the GPA. Isn't it quite a bit late to be able to drop a class without it showing something bad on your record, though? Also, isn't there a minimum number of credits you have to pull to keep the scholarship? 8 credits isn't even full-time, is it? I don't know the specifics of HOPE, but there is a bit of wiggle room, however, in most of these cases. There generally is a bit of leniency with these scholarships if your GPA isn't tanked too bad and you bring it back up the next term. I have experience helping my ex-gf write letters to scholarship committees to keep her money when her grades weren't so hot. I suspect you'll find yourself writing one or two of these yourself in the future. You better have something to make a good case for yourself.

Here's the father-knows-best crap you don't want to hear. The fact that you only pulled 8 credits your first term and you're already dropping because you're not attending class and putting the work in looks really bad for you in more ways than one. First, it's going to be hard to just turn it around. Everyone says "oh yeah, I'll for sure do better next term" or whatever, but it rarely happens. Also, if you want some leniency with your scholarship, this is a terrible way to start out. You need to realize what you're doing here and get to work. This isn't high school any more and what you do in the next four years or so is actually important - work now and you can cruise the rest of your life.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:18 PM

PdPG,

Great freakin' post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

FYI: Technically, 12 credit-hours is full-time.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, because I started both semesters off with 12 hours, I am still full-time.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:26 PM

The only line I can find is that you must be

"Be making satisfactory academic progress."

I don't know if there's anything more concrete than that, but I know that my friend lost it when he only completed about 40% of his required hours. I just pulled that 2/3 number out of my ass.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:27 PM

Well out of 27 hours, I'll complete 15. The only thing I heard is that dropping classes doesn't hurt your HOPE GPA or if you receive it or not, but you are alotted a certain number of HOPE hours. 128. So the classes I dropped drain those hours. That is the only reprocussion I know of.

[ QUOTE ]
You should quit school and become an internet poker pro.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW this is what I'm doing as a part-time job already and will be doing full-time over the Summer.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:31 PM

Hey man, 15 hours in one year...just pretend you interned for a semester, and it'll all be gravy.

Good luck with the grades.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I thought - that's what it was when I went to school, but I thought maybe GT (you going to G. Tech, Caruso?) counted things a little differently.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:20 PM

^ What he said, especially the father-knows-best crap.
8 credits in one semester is a joke. What are you doin with all of that freaking time. I took 12 credits last semester and I felt like a bum. It sounds like you really need to get your priorities straight, I would hope that urgency to keep your scholarship would be enough but apparently thats not even getting the job done. You need to figure out what you are doing in life, why you should be motivated and do it right now. I say drop that precalc class now and work your ass off in the coming years, I know plenty of kids who have done college in 3 years so you can still do it in 4 if you pick it up. Sorry to sound harsh, but from the sounds of it you are one freakin' slacking freshman who needs a swift kick in the ass.
I honestly do hope that it all works out for you, good luck.
O yah, you already have over double the posts I do and you've been a member for 2 months, lay off the boards a little.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:24 PM

I am a bum at the moment. I have no drive. No motivation to get a job so I have any spending cash. No motivation to get up for class (hence why I missed so many). It sounds stupid but yea I'm pretty damn lazy. I want to be a computer programmer as a career, or something in IT, that is why I'm a Comp Sci major.

Yea, I do need a kick in the ass I guess. I've gotten plenty so far though.

Most of my posts are from SSNL forum. When you see the majority of my posts lacking any substance then tell me to lay off the boards.

Patrick: I'm going to Georgia College and State University.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Most of my posts are from SSNL forum. When you see the majority of my posts lacking any substance then tell me to lay off the boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emmitt's point, since you seem like you're taking a pretty big attitude (and judging by your current academic situation):

You admit to having no motivation to even get out of bed to go to class, but you've found enough time in about 2 months to make 700 posts. Even myself - I've made slightly over 1k in almost a year and a half. Each post may not take that much time by itself, but it can add up. I know, trust me - when I'm having trouble in classes (and I've been there), this was the first thing to go.

There needs to be some kind of priority in your life, especially now. As a freshman right out of high school, I kinda blew off my first semester (and I didn't even know about this place), and you seem like you're kinda doing the same thing. There's plenty of a chance to fix it, but you have to do it for yourself. There's certainly nobody here that can make you do it, only try to give you suggestions...